Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Changes for the better at WVAU

New format for AU station

This year American University's student-run radio station, WVAU, will launch its new format, aimed at making the station run more smoothly and professionally.

The major difference between this year and last year is that individual shows will not exist. During the weekdays, shows will fill the same time slot each day, with a rotating cast of DJs all under the guidance of one "show coordinator." Weekend shows will be weekly specialty shows.

"If you tune in on Monday at 2 p.m., you can come back on Thursday at 2 p.m. and hear the same general focus of music, although the DJ will be different," explains WVAU station manager Ed Davis.

The change comes through feedback WVAU officers recieved last semester, said station programming director Lara Hogan in an email to past and present DJs.

"Our major goals are to increase station awareness, increase the quality of our programming" and create a base for sustainability," Davis said.

WVAU has had a rough last few years, following its move from what is now the Media Production Center to the second floor of Mary Graydon.

"Problems we've encountered include replacing broken, old or lost equipment and attempting to rebuild our music library. ... We had no rules, no staff positions, no style, reputation, awareness, etc.," Davis said. "The station was forced to essentially start over."

Last year was also plagued by unreliable staff. In addition to DJs simply not doing their shows, two station directors left abruptly midway through the second semester, one leaving with the contact information of all the current DJs. This left the remaining station directors with little or no way to contact DJs to coordinate meetings or make announcements.

"We've just begun getting things back on track," said Davis.

Right now, the station is trying to make the best with the funding they have, as well as garner the support from the community necessary to maintain the station.

"We are working with some other student groups on some concerts to help boost station awareness and promote local music, and a few other promotional items," said Davis.

The station will continue to be Internet-only from www.wvau.org, a medium which allows for more freedom and a potential for a wider audience than traditional radio.

"In five years, I see the station with a set of well-staffed shows that have earned a reputation both on campus and off ... for interesting music," Davis said, citing this as an advantage of being an Internet-only station.

There will be WVAU general interest meetings on Tuesday, Sept. 12 and Thursday, Sept. 15 at 9 p.m. at the station's headquarters in Mary Graydon 254/256.