Cuba added to AU Abroad list

A new AU Abroad program will provide students the chance to spend a semester in Cuba, a change to the eight-year-old summer program.

Since 1997, AU has offered a summer session in Cuba, but because of a May 2004 change in U.S. regulation, universities are no longer allowed to run any program in Cuba shorter than a full semester.

"I had intended on going to Chile when this opened up, and I jumped on it," said Scott Goldstein, a junior in the School of International Service. "This is an amazing opportunity to be in a completely different mind frame and experience something you can't in this country."

American tourism to the Caribbean nation is prohibited by law, so a license was required for AU to have an academic program there.

"This program is only suitable for students specifically interested in Cuba," said Sara Dumont, director of AU Abroad. "This is a very unique opportunity. There's no place quite like it."

While in Cuba, AU students will live in "modest yet comfortable" hotel-type units and take classes in English at the University of Havana, most of which will focus on the culture and history of Cuba. Students are warned that the University of Havana is very rigorous academically, and that they will be taught by Cuban professors who are accustomed to dealing with high-performing students.

After classes, students will have Fridays off to visit "some of the best beaches in the world," according to Dumont, and to experience the rich Cuban culture.

"You won't find warmer people than the Cubans," said Dumont, who has traveled to Cuba twice. "The Cubans are what make this experience wonderful."

Due to the sensitive political climate, students go through two mandatory orientation sessions to teach them how to act in an unobtrusive way while in Cuba. Participants are warned to be very cautious in what they say and do because even a slight misstep by an AU student while in Cuba could destroy the Cuban government's perception of all visiting AU students, Dumont said.

"What we tell our students going to Cuba is no different that any other study abroad program," said Dumont. "They must obey all the laws and rules of the country and not engage in overtly political activity."

Program organizers assure students that Havana is a fairly safe city, especially for students accustomed to an urban lifestyle, but they will not have the same freedoms as students in programs from other countries.

Students will not be allowed to leave the country for any reason during their semester there, and will not be allowed to have visitors. Communication with family and friends is limited because both phone service and Internet access are unreliable.

"This is not a culture where you can just go get whatever you want," Dumont said. "That said there is more than enough to keep you happily occupied during your time there."

Even though participating students may be missing out on some of the comforts and freedoms of home, some claim that the risks and challenges involved are what make Cuba exciting.

"I have friends who have lived in Cuba," said Valerie Smith, a sophomore in SIS. "Some have said wonderful things, and some have said horrible things and I want to find out first-hand what it's like."

"A lot of students have come back with very happy experiences," said William LeoGrande, Dean of the School of Public Affairs. "I'm very pleased with the new program...It's always harder to go away for a whole semester but I'm hopeful enough that this will be a financially viable program."

The deadline to apply for the spring semester is Oct. 15. Dumont is expecting 15 to 20 applicants, but not everyone will be accepted. The Cuba program is more selective than others; an interview is required, in addition to a second letter of reference and a second application to the University of Havana.

The program fee will be between four and five thousand dollars, comparable to other study abroad programs. The fee includes room and board, some field trips and Internet access.