Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Fashion king

Surprise! AU dudes are dressed to impress

It seems as if men are always getting pushed to the side when it comes to fashion. The power and prestige resides with the women's wear designers, and on the red carpet the "Who are you wearing?" question is always directed towards the female.

Men's fashion is harder to pull off. The top male designers have succeeded because they understood how to redefine and update traditional male looks. This season the story is the same, as the top trends seem to be revamped classics. Suits reign this season; however, the look is now the two-button suit. Granted, this look is slimming and visually appealing, but once paired with a slim tie in a dark color it instantly creates a young, modern look.

Accessories aren't just for girls anymore. There are some very nice pieces on the market for the trendier male. Remember - accessories make any outfit look hot, even your sweats. Scarves are a must have this season, with or without the coat. Pair them with jeans, a casual shirt and a favorite pair of shoes.

Shoes are obviously a must, but this season skip the sandals and trade in the average tennis shoe for the more hip Adidas Samba. They look good with everything from a suit to everyday college attire, meaning their owners can at least get some wear out of them.

Here are some AU fashion trends proving that this season, fashion is King.

Ray Stankiewicz School Of Communication alum '05 Ray was caught on the quad committing an act of fashion. He accessorized his suit and tie with modern looking glasses that took his ensemble from drab to fab. Wearing the classic suit is a timeless look. Pair the right suit with the right accessories to look effortlessly fashionable.

Kevin Falkenstein Senior in the School of International Service The preppy look was always attached to Zach Morris, but there's something to be said about a classic, pulled-together look. Kevin paired a pink and green striped polo with khaki shorts and loafers, choosing not to pop his collar. The look speaks for itself. Fashion Do!

Josh Levitz Freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences Josh paired his brown shirt with blue corduroys and brown shoes. Two words: California cool. Josh takes the whole Adam Brody look to another level with a monochromatic outfit worthy of superstardom on "The OC."

Slim Bemansour Senior in the Kogod School of Business Slim took three timeless pieces to tie together a look that appears effortless and chic at the same time: a casual white shirt, cutting edge pants and the quintessential metro sneaker. Brought home with glasses, his look is complete.

Arone Silverman Junior in SIS Graphic tees are the hottest things since basic black. Pair one with sweats, jeans, shorts; it doesn't matter, but definitely wear them. The T-shirt Arone wore cost only 50 cents, but the unique message and the different look make this shirt - and all other print shirts - a must have.

Isaiah Burns Junior in Kogod and the School of Public Affairs Accessories are great, but they're even greater when men know how to maximize them. Isaiah follows a popular trend by wearing this modern and futuristic watch by Diesel. The sides are unique but the watch is still tasteful and beneficial, since knowing if class has already started is a bonus. At least Isaiah completes his outfit with a fashion necessity.

Sebastian Jannelli Junior in SPA Sunglasses complete any look. Nice sunglasses are a different story: they can make an outfit. Sebastian takes a nice accessory to the next level. Dropping the brand label merchandise is a fashion must as long as the logo and label don't overwhelm the wearer's overall sense of style.