Ladner on leave to limit "distraction" from start of year

Probe expected to conclude in weeks, trustees say

The Board of Trustees announced Tuesday night that it chose to suspend President Benjamin Ladner to avoid "a distraction as we began the new academic year" and to expedite the investigation, according to a statement released to The Eagle from board chair Leslie Bains.

"We are not intentionally hiding any information," Bains said. "We are merely following a judicious process to make sure the interests of all parties are protected until that process concludes."

The board will make a public statement when the investigation wraps up in the coming weeks, she said.

Ladner has been on administrative leave since Aug. 24, meaning he is still being paid but is not participating in day-to-day presidential activities, such as attending meetings and university functions, according to his Chief of Staff David Taylor. Provost Neil Kerwin is currently serving as acting president.

Ladner told Bloomberg news on Monday he's optimistic about the results of the probe.

"I am looking forward to a positive outcome when the charges are fully reviewed," he said. "With respect to the board's announcement [that Ladner was placed on leave], I am cooperating."

The board began an investigation into Ladner's finances in early August after board members received an anonymous letter alleging the president spent university money on European vacations, a personal French chef, presents for his children and other personal expenses. The Washington Post, Student Government President Kyle Taylor and Student Advocacy Center Director Ben Turner received similar letters.

Taylor said he believes the board's probe is centered on the material of these letters, not on who sent them.

"It is my understanding that the focus of the board inquiry is on assessing the validity of these allegations rather than determining the identity of the individual or individuals who may have voiced the concerns," he said.

Kerwin said the staff transitions brought about by Ladner's suspension have gone smoothly.

"To be honest, I'm not expecting any great challenges [while acting as president]," Kerwin said. "Things are going smoothly, they're going extraordinarily well."

Kerwin chose Ivy Broder Tuesday to fill in as provost in addition to her current position as dean of Academic Affairs.

"There are day to day responsibilities of the provost and my current responsibilities as acting president would make it difficult to do both," he said, adding that he picked Broder because she's "deeply experienced" and familiar with his work as provost.

The two arrived at AU as professors in 1975 and have worked closely for about 12 years, Broder said.

Her colleague has a different leadership style than Ladner, she said.

"I think the difference is that Dr. Kerwin has come from the faculty and so he has a very, very deep and ingrained sense of the academic culture and the nature of being faculty and a student," Broder said. "It's different coming from the inside, you have a different perspective and therefore a different leadership style."

Many students said they are more focused on classes than the probe into the president's finances.

"It really doesn't affect people on a day to day level. It doesn't affect my grades, it doesn't affect my classes," said Bill French, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs. Students talk about it briefly, he said, but many don't follow it closely.

Student Government President Kyle Taylor said students are aware of the investigation but are paying more attention to the start of the semester.

"I think people are just sort of waiting [for the results of the probe] and getting on with their lives," he said.

Ladner became president in 1994 after a period of instability when AU had five leaders in less than five years. His base salary is $633,000 according to Internal Revenue Service records, the Post reported.

Kerwin spoke at opening convocation Aug. 26 to a group of freshman who weren't fixated on the investigation.

"I think it's sad that we have to be focusing on the scandal, as opposed to other issues that are directly affecting students right now," said Kristin Kato, a freshman in the School of International Service.

Amanda Fischer, a freshman in SIS, said she was impressed with Kerwin.

"He's a nice guy. He's very funny. I think it's impressive that he's been able to step in and take over despite the controversy over Ladner."

But others thought it was strange that Ladner didn't make an appearance.

"It does seem suspicious [that the president didn't attend the ceremony], especially since Ladner was placed on administrative leave," said SIS freshman Benjamin Skorvan.

"If that's how he was using funds, that's okay. But he should have been more transparent," said Farida Khatchadourian, a graduate student who said she has heard many good things about Ladner's fundraising abilities.

Cara Sullivan, a senior in the School of Communication, said she's disappointed that a president who makes such a high salary would charge the school for the personal expenses that the anonymous letter alleged.

"Does he really need to steal from the school for a $100 bottle of wine?" she asked. But Sullivan is optimistic about Kerwin as acting president.

"He seems to be very well known and very well respected," she said. "I'd rather have him than anyone else"