Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Out of context

"I refuse to pay $5 to $6 for a drink that doesn't have alcohol in it."

-A shocked student expressing dismay over her meal plan no longer being usable at Jamba Juice.

An involvement fair! The perfect time for new students to taste all the fruits that AU student activities have to offer. The shaggy-haired, plaid short-wearing quotient migrated toward the table with the hookah on it (we're not sure which table that was, but then again, they probably weren't, either). The khaki-wearing, Oxford shirt-sporting crowd walked efficiently toward the College Republicans table, greeted with handshakes and knowing head nods. The best part? A hired DJ blared 50 Cent and other top 40 favorites over it all, leaving attendees screaming internally, "Help! I'm lost in a pit of terrible college clich?s!" The Editor-In-Chief of The Eagle was seen outdoors dancing poorly to said 50 Cent. So poorly, in fact, that-wait. She's going to read this, isn't she? Yeah. She is.

__

This week SOC professor Rick Rockwell, presumably recovering from a Tivo'd TRL binge, informed his politics in the media class mid-lecture that, "Green Day rocks!" The Scene staff feels this needs no elaboration.

__

As a full-to-capacity AU shuttle barreled past Van Ness Street this week, a young woman sitting in a seat turned to her companion and said, "Remember when you were a kid, and you would try and bite the butts of the people standing next to you on the bus?" Her friend quietly replied, "No," as the people standing butt-to-mouth level with this woman scooted nervously away.

__

Three uniformed Metro employees were recently spotted lounging on the left side of a Tenleytown stop escalator. The employees proceeded to pretend not to notice all the dirty looks that people gave them while squirming past.

__

The wipe-off board schedules for the elliptical machines and treadmills in the gym were put into effect last semester, but the confusion has started to mount with the surge of incoming freshmen determined to keep their summer fitness plans through the fall. Write your name and time on the board with five minutes in between the last person signed up for the machine and wait your turn...sounds simple, right? Not so. It also doesn't help that 3-4 different machines are "in repair" each day. We at the Scene will keep our fat intact for insulation during the upcoming winter.

__

Walking through TDR still yields an endless supply of partial conversation gems. This week's favorite, from one girl wearing letters to another: "If you're a slut, then I'm a sleazy whore." They must have had an interesting weekend.

-Compiled by the Scene Staff

Having an Out of Context moment? Send it to totallyoutofcontext@gmail.com.