Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Quick bites

Lauriol Plaza 1835 18th St., NW (202) 387-0035 Metro: Dupont Circle (red line) B

Voted best Mexican food in the city by the readers of the Washington Post, this sister restaurant of local favorite Cactus Cantina trumps its sibling on almost every count. The food is notably better and the fajitas del mar are incredible. They also have some traditional Spanish favorites and serve up some mean paella. Even the free chips and salsa are delicious. Plus, they make great margaritas by the pitcher, so try the "swirl" flavor of strawberry mixed with lime. The rooftop seating, if you can get to it, is the perfect place to watch a sunset. Sadly, Lauriol Plaza has recently become trendy, so get there early to avoid the usually very long wait and crowds of interns and other Dupont Circle-style hipsters. The only problem with this restaurant is the extremely poor service, but the food is good enough to mostly make up for it. Just don't expect to have a quick dinner here.

Lebanese Taverna 2641 Connecticut Ave., NW (202) 265-8681 Metro: Woodley Park-Adams Morgan (red line) A

A true American success story, Toni Abi-Najm and his family fled Lebanon in 1976 on a cargo ship with only $700. They worked in various restaurants and eventually saved enough money to buy their own. The menu tells the story of how they had so little money that they could only change one word on the old sign, so "the Athenian Taverna became the Lebanese Taverna." Now they have four restaurants, three caf?s, a market and a catering service. How did they manage to grow so big? The food is authentic and amazing, and they offer a surprisingly large variety of vegetarian fare. Plus, they bake fresh pita bread in house all day long and have a great wine list. The thing that makes this restaurant different, however, is the service. They pride themselves on making each guest feel like a member of their family. Bring a group of friends and order a bunch of appetizers to share.

2 Amys 3715 Macomb St., NW (202) 885-5700 Metrobus: Take the 32, 34 or 36 bus down Wisconsin A-

Sick of constantly dialing Dominos? Pizza lovers should take a stroll down to 2 Amys Neapolitan Pizzeria and experience pizza taken to a higher level. They strictly abide by the rules established by the Italian government in 1998 when Neapolitan pizza was declared a traditional food that needed protection and preservation. That means that 2 Amys only uses specifically permitted fresh ingredients and the pizza is cooked in a wood-burning oven. What this means for customers is the pizza is unbelievably delicious. Everything on the menu is good, but come for the Norcia and stay for the authentic cannoli. Their fresh lemonade is also a plus. Unfortunately, since the restaurant is small and has developed quite a loyal following, there will almost always be a wait unless it's a particularly off-peak time - and they don't deliver. It's seriously worth it, though. Go. Go now.