Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Tech bits

California Senate passes violent games bill

The California Senate passed a bill on Thursday that would make it illegal for retailers in California to sell violent videogames to minors under the age of 18. Violent games will be labeled with 2-inch by 2-inch white stickers with a large black number "18." The bill will not use the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) ratings to determine appropriateness. The bill is pending final approval by state governor and former action star Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Next-gen Sonic in the works for PS3, Xbox 360

Sega announced last week that it is "reinventing" its Sonic the Hedgehog character for a new game on the upcoming Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3. Yuji Naka, one of Sonic's two original creators, is directing the game. According to the Sega press release, Naka will "create the most intense sensation of speed ever experienced in videogames." The next-gen "Sonic The Hedgehog" will ship sometime in 2006 in conjunction with the character's 15th anniversary.

Microsoft announces Next-gen Xbox Live pricing

Microsoft's next generation console Xbox 360 is due out this November, and with it comes a new version of the online multiplayer enabling Xbox Live. Xbox 360 will come loaded with a free "Silver" version that allows gamers to create a profile, send and receive messages, download additional game content and more. There will also be a "Gold" version that lets players take their game online and earn other enhanced privileges. The "Gold" version will cost $7.99 a month, $2 more than Live costs on the current Xbox. However, three-month and yearly subscriptions rates are staying the same, $19.99 and $49.99 respectively. There will also be two packages available offering extra goodies like coupons, arcade games and a headset.

Four million inside the 'World of Warcraft'

Blizzard Entertainment recently announced its massively popular multiplayer online role-playing PC game "World of Warcraft" now has over four million paying subscribers worldwide. One million of these gamers are from the United States and Canada.

'Halo Triple Pack' on the way

Gamers who missed out on the first two "Halo" titles for the Microsoft Xbox have another chance to get in on the action. Microsoft announced that it will publish a "Halo Triple Pack" that will compile the two first-person shooters plus the "Halo 2" map pack. The set will cost $59.99, about $20 cheaper than buying everything separately. "Halo Triple Pack" will hit store shelves on Oct. 4.