Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Tech bits

Nintendo unveils 'Revolutionary' Controller

After months of speculation, Nintendo last week unveiled the controller design for its next-generation console, "Revolution." As the name implies, the device is truly different.

The controller looks much like a T.V. remote control and is meant to be held in one hand. When picked up and pointed at the screen, the controller can sense motion, depth, positioning and targeting dictated by movement of the controller itself. Gamers have immediate access to a D-Pad and a large "A" button with their thumb and a trigger in the back with their index finger. There are also "Start," "Select," "X" and "Y" buttons lower on the rectangular device, positioned so that the controller resembles that of the original Nintendo Entertainment System turned on its side. The controller also allows for a variety of expansions, including a "numchuck" style analog unit.

Sony and Microsoft have only made modest improvements to the controller designs for their PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Nintendo has yet to announce a release date for "Revolution."

PlayStation 3 boasts strong third-party library

Sony last week revealed a strong game lineup of 102 games from 72 video game publishers for its upcoming game console, PlayStation 3. The lineup is largely made up of sequels, including new entries into the "Metal Gear Solid," "King of Fighters" and "Tekken" franchises. No PlayStation 3 game has yet been playable, dating back to May when the system was first officially announced.

Konami talks "Metal Gear Solid 4"

Konami showed off footage of "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" for the PlayStation 3 at the Tokyo Game Show Thursday. The next entry into the popular series will take place far in the future after the events of PS2 classic "Sons of Liberty." Franchise star Solid Snake is back, but much older and with a mustache. Konami has taken advantage of the PS3's power and the graphics for the game are near photorealistic. It is currently unknown when "Guns of the Patriots" or the PS3 will appear on store shelves.

Third expansion planned for "Final Fantasy XI"

Square Enix announced Friday a new expansion pack is in the works for the popular massively multiplayer online RPG "Final Fantasy XI." Titled "Treasures of Aht Urhgan," the expansion is expected to appear on the PS2, PC and Xbox 360. No release date has yet been revealed.