Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The hit list

Five things worthy of your time

1. Dinosaur Comics at www.qwantz.com

Few things have made this Scene staffer laugh until she choked quite like www.qwantz.com's "Dinosaur Comics," what Canadian creator Ryan North calls "a comic about talking dinosaurs" and "hopes you think it's pretty okay!" The daily comic features T-rex ("a dinosaur who is enthusiastic about ideas"), Dromiceiomimus (who "likes dinosaur sex!") and Utahraptor ("a good friend"), three companions who tackle all sorts of issues ranging from conversational plagiarism to the infinity of time and space. The best part? The comic's six frames, showing the vaguely effeminate T-rex stomping on a log cabin and a small person while conversing with his pals, are the same in each installment, just with different words. The site also features "sexy exciting merchandise" and a guide to the characters.

2. Adopting a pet Nothing brings joy into a house full of college students like an adopted pet. If all parties concerned are responsible enough to handle it, surf over to www.petfinder.com and search 200,000 pets in need of a happy home. Petfinder.com also happens to be a nonprofit charitable organization now accepting donations to help animal shelters caring for critters abandoned in Hurricane Katrina, so consider donating some cash if expanding the family isn't an option.

3. Bob Dylan Documentary

All right cats and kittens, mark your calendars for this one. Martin Scorcese's new documentary on Bob Dylan premieres on local WGBH TV tonight, Monday, Sept. 26, at 9 p.m. This, the first documentary on Dylan since 1967s verite "Don't Look Back," will cover everything you need to know about the man's early career. Including interviews by Allen Ginsberg and other '60s notables, this is not to be missed! Will rerun on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m.

4. National Talk Like a Pirate Day

Today is National Talk Like a Pirate Day, a good excuse for affixing eye patches, growling at passerby and walking with a limp a la peg leg. This supposed international holiday will bring joy to the certain faction of the population with the unlucky incidence of a hook hand. Celebrate along with them!

5. Collages

Nothing warms the heart like scissors and paste, and nothing provides a better excuse to use said paste and scissors like cutting up magazines and photos of your friends. This week, collages rule the craft world. Do it missionary-style on 8"x11"s or all crazy on a friend's shoes. However it's done, make sure it's done with love.

-Compiled by The Scene staff.

The Hit List appears every Monday.