Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The hit list

Five things worthy of your time

1. OK Go's "A Million Ways" video Perhaps the sweetest music vide ever. In "A Million Ways" a completely stationary camera captures - in a single shot - the four members of OK Go prancing about lead singer/guitarist Damian Kulash's backyard in suits, ties and sweater vests. Their complex dance routine, choreographed by Kulash's sister, features synchronized head turning and West Side Story-style fake dance fighting. Even though it was never intended for public view, the video was leaked on the Internet and downloaded over 500,000 times, according to an Aug. 30 feature on NPR's "All Things Considered." Available multiple places on the 'Net, search for it and enjoy without delay.

2. Sufjan Stevens at the 9:30 Club Everyone who's anyone knows that Sufjan Stevens is the man. Therefore, all these people said "Yes!" to Michigan (and to "Illinois") by snapping up tickets to Stevens' show at the 9:30 Club this Thursday. Unfortunately, this means it's sold out. But this indicates just what a big hit it is.

3. "Everything is Illuminated" Some might say that Elijah Wood's character in this new indie flick is reminiscent of his ultra-creepy villain in "Sin City," but the similarities stop at the Rivers Cuomo glasses. Not only does he talk and not eat anybody, he's on a mission. Adapted from the novel of the same name by Jonathan Safron Foer, this sometimes hilarious, sometimes disturbing and always visually engaging film is entirely worth your $7.50. Not to mention the sweet soundtrack features songs by Gogol Bordello. Do it.

4. P.B. and J. Sandwiches There's just something about being able to slap together a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but it's hard to decide just what that "something" is. Is it the wide variety of jelly options, or the variations between crunchy and smooth peanut butter? Or the often difficult choice between wheat or white bread? In any case, it's a cheap and delicious way to survive a college career.

5. Microfridges Dude, isn't it cool when a single appliance can keep one thing hot, and another thing cold, at the same time? And it doesn't short out the power, or anything? Totally enough said.

-Compiled by The Scene staff.

The Hit List serves up the latest every Monday.