Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Destination: Where are you going?

Quad watching is a favorite pastime for many AU students. Also, it is often a refresher course in fashion hits and misses. The lines of fashion have become blurred and many have fallen prey to the myth that if something feels good then it also looks good. Granted, this mantra is helpful for deciphering between fashion trends and fads in favor of comfortable tried and true looks, but there's a point where things can go too far, and that point has arrived.

Spotting a person halfway across the quad wearing a tight black shirt with skin-tight Diesel jeans, or perhaps the halter-top, mini skirt and heels combo, one might stop and think, "What is that person thinking?" When did club clothing become standard uniform? Alternatively, seeing someone schlepping around in their pajama pants and fuzzy bedroom slippers then poses the question, "Where on earth are they going?"

The point is many students on this campus tend to dress inappropriately for their desired destinations. This week the campus was scoured and students were posed the question: "Where are you going?" But how well did the destination fit the outfit? The Eagle investigates.

Fashion All Star: Mary Campbell, senior in the School of Communication Destination: Class And the outfit says: Class, duh. This look is collegiate cool. The simple understated sweater, the nicely fitted jeans and the simple day pumps make this outfit sensible for function and for fashion. Where she could be going: The Dior Retro Bow Pump can take this look from casual day to fun filled night. It is a flirty yet elegant shoe that follows the velvet trend of the moment, and the formerly casual look is ready for a night hopping bars on Capitol Hill.

Fashion All Star: Tim Meinke, senior in the School of Public Affairs Destination: Class And the outfit says: Give or take the dress pants, this look is worthy for wear to an internship or even class. The sweater is a smart fall style with a not-so-traditional dress shirt underneath, providing two looks. Classic men's dress shoes and jeans complete this outfit. Where he could be going: This is a look that also translates into nightwear. Remove the sweater in favor of a dress shirt like Armani Exchange's tuxedo stripe shirt, and a belt that says, "I know how to accessorize," and the look is complete.

Destination: The library But the outfit says: The beach. With the shorts and sandals still idling in the closet, it can be tempting to pull them out for use, but resist the urge. It's fall and these items should now be relegated to storage. This look would be complete with a nice pair of Diesels and either Pumas or men's dress shoes depending on the occasion.

Destination: Class But the outfit says: The gym. This is a look best suited for the gym fitness fanatic, but it isn't intended for everyday wear. Trade the sweatshirt in for a cashmere sweater and scarf and it is still comfortable and classroom accessible.

Destination: Class But the outfit says: TRL! Granted this look can pass for classroom lectures, but this ensemble is more MTV VJ than scholarly student. Instead of trying to hit all of the trends at once, focus on one item that sets the outfit apart. This capelet is perfect with jeans or simplistic black pants. Or the plaid pants with a midriff-grazing top to showcase the pants. Remember: less is more.

Destination: Class But the outfit says: Bed. Pajama pants and sweats are easy to get into and are doubtlessly uncomfortable, but they are only truly meant for bedtime. It is so easy to jump out of bed and run to class, especially during finals, but trade the sweats for an equally comfortable pair of pants, like James Perse's velvet ones.