Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Dorm bits

You're running dangerously low on meal swipes. On your latest excursion to the Eagle's Nest to buy that long craved-after pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream, you are horrified to discover that your Eagle Bucks have somehow diminished from a solid few hundred dollars to a measly $20.35.

Suddenly, surviving on a daily basis has come down to a few hundred calories provided by the impressive stash of Ramen you've hoarded in your desk drawer. As the concept of decent and varied meals becomes more and more a distant fantasy, those wretched noodles in flavored broth begin to inspire a longing so passionate that you're actually willing to momentarily set aside laziness to prepare some substantial food.

If you've got just a few extra bucks to spare, then grab some plastic cutlery and introduce yourself to the kitchen in your dorm, and try out some easy recipes that are guaranteed to temporarily alleviate hunger pains. For added convenience, all the ingredients used in the following recipes can be found at AU's very own Eagle's Nest. Because hey - college doesn't mean having to succumb to food monotony.

Breakfast: PB & Y Oatmeal 1 package of instant oatmeal 1 tablespoon of peanut butter 1 6-oz. vanilla yogurt 1/2 banana, diced Access to a microwave.

1) Prepare the instant oatmeal as directed on the package. While the oatmeal is still warm, mix in the peanut butter until completely blended. Add the yogurt and banana.

2) Let the mixture stand for a minute or two until it has thickened in consistency. Stir the oatmeal once more and devour.

Lunch: Tuna Melt Pockets

1 can of Pillsbury crescent rolls 2 6-oz. cans of tuna Half cup of shredded cheddar or American cheese* A baking sheet, aluminum foil, a small bowl and access to an oven.

1) Pre-heat the oven to 350øF. If you hate doing dishes like the rest of the world, cover the baking sheet in aluminum foil and significantly minimize clean-up time.

2) Open and drain the two cans of tuna. Mix together tuna and shredded cheese in a small bowl.

3) Separate the dough into four rectangles. Crescent rolls come as triangles so you can make rectangles by pressing together the crease between two triangles to form a rectangle of dough. Place about half a cup of the tuna mix on one half of each rectangle. Fold the dough in half, creating a pocket around the tuna. Make sure to press the edges together to ensure that no tuna leaks out.

4) Place the pockets on the prepared baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pockets are golden brown.

Variations: With crescent rolls' astounding versatility, you can substitute tuna for other meats such as precooked chicken, or even vegetables. However, note that cheese is necessary for binding the fillings together.

Snack: Pizza sans everything but the cheese 1 cup of Parmesan cheese 4 tablespoons of butter You will also need a skillet, some form of a spatula and access to a stove.

1) Place a skillet over medium high heat. Melt the butter in the skillet, making sure the entire bottom is coated.

2) Sprinkle a quarter cup of cheese into the pan in an even layer. Cook the cheese until it's completely melted and the underside is golden brown. Flip over the cheese and brown on the other side.

3) Remove from skillet and enjoy the best part of a pizza without the other stuff getting in the way!

Dinner: Bowl O' Mexico 1 1-cup package of Uncle Ben's "Boil-In-Bag" Instant Rice 1/2 cup of salsa 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 3/4 cup canned chili Extra salsa and sour cream Access to a microwave.

1) Cook one serving of rice (one bag) according to the directions as indicated. Remove rice and place it in a bowl.

2) In a separate bowl, mix together the salsa, chili and shredded cheese. Top rice with the mixture.

3) Cover bowl with a paper towel and heat in the microwave for about one minute and 30 seconds.

4) Let cool for about one minute, top with sour cream and extra salsa, and enjoy.

Dessert: Microwave Peach Cobbler (No one ever said it was classy, but it sure is good!) 1 8-oz. can of sliced peaches 1 Nature Valley Honey and Oats Granola Bar 1 sugar and cinnamon graham cracker 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream

1) Drain the canned peaches almost completely, leaving only a teaspoon of the sauce, and dump into a bowl. Crunch up both the graham cracker and the granola bar and use to top the peaches.

2) Microwave the crunchy peach mixture on high for 5 minutes. Remove from the microwave and let cool for 2 minutes. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and shovel it down before anyone else on your floor can ask for a bite.

-LISA KIRLICK & CECILIA CAMPBELL-WESTLIND