Metro briefs

Panda cub celebrates milestone

The National Zoo's giant panda cub now has his first teeth, according to the Washington Post.

The cub underwent a medical examination yesterday morning showing that four of his canine teeth and all 12 incisors have broken his gums, but not all have fully come in. Zookeepers and veterinarians have felt the teeth breaking through the cub's gums for about a week.

The cub does not appear to be uncomfortable, unlike most human babies who cry while teething.

The cub weighs 12.7 pounds and measures 25.5 inches from nose to tail. According to Chinese tradition, he will be named in a ceremony on Monday, when he turns 100 days old.

- Lauren Gardner

GW student arrested, facing charges

A GW student was arrested Tuesday evening and charged with assault with a deadly weapon for reportedly using his feet to inflict serious head injuries on a fellow student, the GW Hatchet reported.

The incident occurred around 2:30 a.m. Sunday in the 1700 block of G Street. Chad Harris Dauman, a GW student reportedly struck another senior, Akeem Samuels, in the face and body , Metropolitan Police public information officer Kenneth Bryson said Wednesday.

Samuels has a number of broken bones and will likely have to undergo some reconstructive surgery, but as of Tuesday, the injuries did not appear to be life threatening, she said.

Chad Harris Dauman was arrested at 7:45 p.m. Tuesday for the assault following an MPD investigation, the Hatchet reported. Ben Friedman, chief of the misdemeanor section for the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia, said assault with a deadly weapon with feet is a felony that carries a maximum 10-year sentence.

- Kate Oczypok