Miers withdraws bid to Court amid controversy

White House Counsel Harriet Miers ended her bid to become the next associate justice of the Supreme Court on Oct. 27, following several weeks of escalating criticism of the nominee's experience and judicial philosophy.

Miers sent a letter to President George W. Bush on the evening of Oct. 26, asking to be withdrawn from consideration. In the letter, Miers expressed concern that "the confirmation process presents a burden for the White House and our staff that is not in the best interest of the country."

Miers said she was withdrawing because some senators "indicated their intention to seek documents about my service in the White House in order to judge whether to support me." White House officials had refused to turn over such documents to the Senate Judiciary Committee, citing executive privilege issues.

President Bush said he "reluctantly accepted" her withdrawal.

Miers' withdrawal drew criticism from some Democratic senators, who claimed President Bush was caving to conservative interest groups. Most Republican senators wanted to put Miers' nomination and subsequent Republican in-fighting behind them.

"Let's move on," said Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.). "In a month, who will remember the name Harriet Miers?"

Selection of a new Supreme Court nominee was expected to occur soon after Miers' withdrawal. Confirmation hearings for the new nominee could begin before Christmas, according to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.).

Associate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who announced her retirement on July 1, is expected to remain on the Court until a new nominee is confirmed by the Senate, according to CNN.