National Coming Out Week educates

Events scheduled to promote awareness and offer support

National Coming Out Week events scheduled this week plan to promote awareness and offer support for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gender community on campus. Queers and Allies and the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Allies Resource Center organized the annual week of programs.

Monday night's kickoff event, "Queer Science," was a workshop designed to address issues of stereotyping and sexual health.

On Tuesday, the GLBTA Resource Center and Queers and Allies co-sponsored "S&M 102" a forum hosted by Professor Michelle Carnes about safety issues and techniques involved in the sexual practice.

"National Coming Out Week is about getting to hear from voices you don't normally get to hear from." Carnes said. She added that it is also an opportunity for lesbian and gay people to be visible and build a sense of community.

National Coming out Week began in the 1980s as a single National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11. Over time, the day's events were expanded on college campuses to span the entire week of Oct. 11. AU celebrates the event a week later because National Coming Out Day typically falls during fall break.

Queers and Allies Treasurer Allison Waithe, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she felt this year the organization "has a lot more things going on." She said it seems turnout and student interest are greater this year.

Other events this year include a gay-themed "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?," a drag show, a discussion on domestic violence and a film on homosexuality in freshman year. On Friday, the week will conclude with an "Equality Ride" modeled on the civil rights movement's "Freedom Rides" during the 1960s. The ride will take participants to the Annapolis Naval Academy to protest the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy.