Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Tech bits

Anti-gaming lawyer takes on popular Web comic

Florida attorney and violent video game antagonist Jack Thompson has set his eyes on popular Web comic "Penny Arcade." In a letter addressed to John McKay, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Washington, Thompson said the site was encouraging its fans to criminally harass him. Thompson asked McKay for help, but did not cite any specific action he wanted the Washington lawyer to take.

"Penny Arcade" has criticized Thompson for attacking video game developers who create games with content involving sex and violence.

"He can send these silly letters from hell to breakfast, but all they amount to is a bunch of legal dry humping," said Mike Krahulik, co-creator and artist of "Penny Arcade" in a news post to fans. "We have absolutely top notch legal representation. Should Jack actually decide to come after us we're quite prepared. Until then he's more than welcome to send ridiculous faxes to any uninterested third party he wants."

Sony PSP becomes fastest shipping PlayStation ever

Sony last week announced the company has shipped 10 million Playstation Portables worldwide. The system launched 10 months ago, which makes the PSP the fastest shipping PlayStation in history. Three million PSPs have sold in Asia since Dec. 12, 2004, 4.47 million in North America since March 24 and 2.53 million in Europe since Sept. 1.

Nintendo teams up with McDonald's for free wireless gameplay

Starting Nov. 14, gamers looking to take their Nintendo DS handhelds online should look no further than the golden arches. Nintendo announced an agreement with Internet provider Wayport last week to set up free access to the Nintendo DS Wireless Connection in 6,000 McDonald's locations.

When a user brings a Nintendo DS unit and a Wi-Fi-enabled game into a Wayport-enabled McDonald's, the user simply launches the game in Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection mode. The gamer can then play anyone in or outside the building connected to the service.

'Metal Gear Solid' creator's blog goes English

Hideo Kojima, best known as the creator of the "Metal Gear Solid" series, might be blogging right now. The famed video game creator talks about game development, loneliness, Franz Ferdinand and more in his multi-themed online journal. But until recently, only those fluent in Japanese could read it.

Now Kojima's first six blog entries have been translated into English, and more are on the way. The journal is viewable at www.blog.konami.jp/gs/hide-oblog_e/.