Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The hit list

Five things worthy of your time

1. "The Simpsons," Arabic Style One of America's favorite cartoon families has made it to the screens of televisions in the United Arab Emirates. "The Simpsons," or "Al Shamshoon," debuted on MBC, a satellite television network, earlier this month. This version, however, features lovable dad Omar Shamshoon, who doesn't consume beer or bacon, which are against the Islamic religion, or hang out at the seedy Moe's Tavern. D'oh!

2. The Tall Club of Greater Washington, D.C. Gentleman, are you 6'2" or taller? Ladies, 5'10" and above? Have you previously felt alienated by the stalks you call your legs? Well now there's a venue in which tall people can feel appreciated. The Tall Club of Greater Washington, D.C., must only officially meet height requirements and attend two functions during a 90-day period. With meetings at the Key Bridge Marriott and Allies American Grill, how can this be bad? Check it out here: http://clubs.tall.org/washingtondc/membership.html.

3. 'My Super Sweet 16' reruns Now that the first season of this national treasure of a show is over, we all know that they'll be re-airing them to death on MTV for a few months. Watch the one with the triplets, the one with (who we think is) Funky Cold Medina artist Ton Loc's daughter, or the one with the crusty-haired wench from Florida. Relive the memories as many times as you possibly can, and hopefully it'll turn us all into better people.

4. Boners Where to begin? Boners are more timeless than diamonds, and they're definitely a gift that won't be forgotten. A boner says "I love you," "I'm sorry," or "How you livin', playa?" all at the same time. All the other words for erect penises, like "chubby" or "woody," don't compare to the immediately recognizable and giggle-inducing "boner." Make someone's day by referring to him/her with this term of loving endearment.

5. Quick roadtrips There's so much country love surrounding our fair city, so why not take a ride past the Beltway and down Rte. 66 into the fair heart of Virginia? Richmond is only three hours away, and the towns along the road aren't shabby, either. Stop for coffee, see a bluegrass band, or even visit grandma's house. She'll have fresh-picked apples for you and you'll find that $3.00/gallon for gas is sometimes worth the weekend getaway.

-Compiled by the Scene staff.