Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The Hit List

Five things worthy of your time

1. R. Kelly's "Trapped in the closet: Chapters 1-12"

R. Kelly takes the first step into his transformation from the sex-obsessed hit-maker into the Sufjan Stevens of R&B, compiling the first 12 chapters of the awesomely bad hip-hopera detailing the sordid sex lives of Sylvester, Rufus, Cathy, Chuck, Gwendolyn and so many more into a DVD that drops Tuesday. Look out for the sure-to-be-epic commentary by the Pied Piper himself as he enlightens us with the varied nuances of what it means exactly to be "trapped in the closet."

2. [adult swim]'s Friday Night Fix

The late night cartoon block began offering streaming online episodes starting in October. Every Friday from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. fans can view classic episodes of shows like "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" and "SeaLab: 2021," as well as brand new shows like "Lucy:

Daughter of the Devil" before they premiere.

3. Discounted Halloween Candy at CVS

Lord knows college marks the transition from celebrating Halloween by enjoying trick-or-treating candy to celebrating Halloween by tolerating flat Natty Light. Revive the pre-collegiate practice of pigging out by cleaning out CVS's post-season candy clearance shelves. They're getting ready for Easter already, anyway.

4. 10 Things I Hate About Kissing Heath Ledger

In the new Ang Lee film "Brokeback Mountain," opening Dec. 9, Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger play two cowboys in love. The makeout scenes, however, were so intense that Gyllenhall apparantly almost broke his nose during filming. Gyllenhall said in one scene, "I grab him and I slam him up against the wall and I kiss him. I got the shit beat out of me. We had other scenes where we fought each other and I wasn't hurting as badly as I did after that one." Calm down, ladies.

5. 'Banquet' Remix

In between stressing about his unpaid sampling fees and water bill, British rapper Mike Skinner still has time to remix the Bloc Party hit "Banquet." In his verses, Skinner apologizes for stealing a microphone from Jo Whiley's BBC Radio 1 show after a live radio performance on Friday, Sept. 13, 2003. He used the mic, which he nicknamed Silver, to record his last album, "A Grand Don't Come For Free" - and presumably this remix of "Banquet," as well (don't worry, at the end of the video for the song, Skinner returns Silver to its rightful owner).

-Compiled by the Scene staff.