Campus briefs

AU Rhodes Scholars named

Last week, AU named Kyle Taylor, Student Government president, Natalie Hand and Forrest Dunbar for the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship.

The Rhodes Scholarship offers funding for two to three years of intense graduate study at Oxford, according to an article in the American Weekly.

Acting president Neil Kerwin told parents at Family Weekend that the three nominees are "the institution's best Rhodes Scholar candidates ever."

The average Rhodes Scholarship nominee's GPA is 3.9 and extracurricular activities play a strong role in the selection process, explained Paula Warrick, who urges faculty members to identify potential scholars as early in their academic career as possible.

By identifying strong candidates early, Warrick said, they can help steer the students' passions and interests towards activities that will distinguish them from other highly qualified applicants, according to American Weekly.

- KATE OCZYPOK

Board to hold town hall meeting

In an effort to provide more transparency for the student body, the board of trustees will be holding a town hall meeting this Thursday.

"This meeting is long overdue," said Kyle Taylor, student government president. "Thank goodness this is finally happening ... This is a great opportunity for students to come out and voice their opinions."

At a meeting last Tuesday, board chair Gary Abramson said he plans to look into the idea of having town hall student meetings before each board meeting.

The meeting will be held in Ward 2 at 8 p.m.

- K. O.

LASO builds playground for children

Members of AU's Latino and American Student Organization built a playground Saturday at 11th and Harvard Streets, NW in the Columbia Heights section of D.C. The playground, which is used by a local pre-kindergarten class, is located on the grounds of the Carlos Rosario International Public Charter School.

About 12 to 15 AU students and 60 to 80 D.C. residents, parents and school staff participated in the service project as part of Hispanic Heritage Month.

"We all had a good time ... It's a great project for a great organization," said Vanessa Palma, a grad student and LASO alumna. "The Pre-K class came out with little pom-poms and started cheering, we know that families were going to appreciate in the long run."

- JOHN RILEY and K. O.