Documentary on Iraq makes premier at AU

Last Thursday, the AU Foreign Policy Association and the Capitol Conservatives hosted the D.C. premiere of "Confronting Iraq: Conflict and Hope," a new documentary that focused on showing justification for the present war.

About 80 people attended the event, many of who were from the local and national media.

The film presents facts showing that the United States' lack of retaliation in previous decades helped to spawn the events of 9/11, and that this would not have been possible without help from Saddam Hussein, who had welcomed terrorists and manufactured WMDs.

"I made the film because I was concerned that the media coverage Iraq war was starting to undermine its effect, and I wanted to address the true nature of the enemy we are facing," said Roger Aronoff, the film's director and producer.

The documentary also took the position that the war was justified because George Bush was just carrying out the official policy of the United States government, which has been for regime change in Iraq since 1998, when Congress passed the Iraq Liberation Act.

Some AU students didn't agree with the film's views.

"I had to go see the film for a class," Sarah Fuller, a sophomore in the School of International Service said. "I appreciated the film and thought it was well done, but it was one sided, pro-war propaganda. It is the conservative version of Farenheit 9/11."

Jason Oliver, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs had a different opinion. "I went to see the film because I was interested in the message it might have."

In addition, Oliver said that the question-and-answer portion of the event was informative, and showed the Roger Aronoff was "very knowledgeable"