Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

DS 'Karts' Mario online

Chomp on a mushroom and hop in a kart; Mario and friends are back in a brand new racing adventure. "Mario Kart DS" for the Nintendo DS handheld packs in all the classic elements that fans of the series have enjoyed since the original Super Nintendo game, and adds something they've wished for since the Internet was invented: online play.

That's right. Thanks to the Nintendo DS's wireless capabilities, gamers can challenge not only a friend standing in the same room, but their buddies back in California. Hell, they can even find some sketchy dude from South Dakota to race against.

There's a lot to do in "Mario Kart." Gamers can race in a traditional Grand Prix, complete task-oriented missions, wage all-out battles and more. Over 30 courses are featured. While half of these are new, the game also acts like a "greatest hits" compilation, plucking tracks from previous games in the series. Nearly all the classic Mario characters are included and each has an array of karts to choose from.

All the classic "Mario Kart" action is intact. Players can improve their time by taking shortcuts and power sliding. They can also slam opponents with koopa shells, drop banana peels and get speed boosts from mushrooms. The DS version includes new ways to overtake opponents on the track and new items to add to the mayhem.

"Mario Kart" takes advantage of the DS's two screens to offer additional strategy. The actual race takes place on the top screen with full 3D visuals that are somewhere in-between the quality of the N64 and GameCube games. Players are presented with a detailed overhead map on the bottom screen that helps with both navigating and aiming weapons at opponents edging up from behind.

While all the gameplay modes are supported when players - up to eight - are within a range slightly larger than a classroom, options are more limited for gamers who connect to Nintendo's Wi-Fi service to play people from around the globe. The maximum number of players is reduced to four and only the normal racing mode is supported. This is disappointing, considering the popularity of multiplayer battle modes - specifically balloon battle - in previous "Mario Kart" titles. That said, just like crack is still just as addictive in small doses, the simplistic wireless Internet mode is likely to keep players coming back long after they've finished everything else the game has to offer.

Considering American University is a wireless campus, one would assume taking the Nintendo DS online would be relatively painless. This is not the case. AU requires devices on its network to be registered onto the MARS system, and this would appear impossible to do with a DS.

Luckily there are two alternative ways to get the DS online. Thanks to a deal with Nintendo, most McDonald's restaurants - including the one in the tunnel - serve as free wireless hot spots for the handheld. Gamers who'd prefer playing in their dorm room can also purchase the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adaptor for $34.95 at Nintendo's online store. It's easy to connect with either of these methods and, unlike many online game services, there is no monthly or yearly fee.

It's easy to recommend "Mario Kart DS." It is every bit as strong as previous titles in the series and one of the dual-screened handheld's very best. It also pioneers Nintendo's exciting Wi-Fi service. For those who have yet to pick up a Nintendo DS, "Mario Kart" is a fine reason to do so.

"Mario Kart DS" will also be available as part of a special edition bundle with a limited edition hot-rod red Nintendo DS system for $149.99 on Nov. 28.