Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

G-town good for crepes, tea

With our adventurous tastes, we have set out to bring you an array of good restaurants to experience while here at AU. We'll take you through many easily accessible neighborhoods and stay within a college student's budget. This month, we head down to Georgetown to find some of the lesser-known eateries in this popular location. So go explore Georgetown - and don't be afraid to try something new!

Ching Ching Cha Chinese Tea House 1063 Wisconsin Ave. NW (202) 333-8288 Price range: $15-$20 per person

Who knew that right next to a sex shop you could find a relaxing oasis? Ching Ching Cha is just that - an escape from hectic everyday life. The second that one steps inside, he or she will feel transported to a centuries-old Chinese courtyard. The front of the airy room is a small shop, which opens up into an intimate dining room. Diners have the choice of either traditional table-and-chair seating or sitting on pillows at low tables (we recommend the pillows for the most authentic experience).

The real reason to go to Ching Ching Cha is the amazing array of teas, which go on for pages in the menu. Both the jasmine and orange blossom teas had a very pretty flavor and scent. Furthermore, watching the blossom teas "bloom" is almost as fun as drinking them. Any of the blossoms used expand as they steep, and one knows to drink when the bloom has fully expanded. Teas range from $4 to $12 and some are even pricier. Patrons can continue pouring cups as long as they'd like, as the kettle is constantly refilled.

Although the teas can get pricey, the food is reasonable. The restaurant offers an assortment of appetizers and a bento box for lunch. We suggest skipping the appetizers and going straight for the meal. Eleven dollars covers exotic tomato soup, and a choice of entr?e with three vegetables. The food is very fresh and simple. The bento box will leave diners surprisingly full.

Ching Ching Cha's service is excellent, with sweet and attentive servers who demonstrate how to drink the teas properly. The service adds to the extremely calm atmosphere.

Experiencing Ching Ching Cha is like taking a nice deep breath. Whisk yourself away, especially during finals or some other stressful time when an escape is a necessity.

Rating: Four and a half out of five salt and pepper shakers

Ristorante Piccolo Northern Italian cuisine 1068 31st Street (202) 342-7414 Price range: $15-$20 per person for lunch

Ristorante Piccolo's cute exterior resembles a charming vintage house. Unfortunately, the restaurant is anything but charming. A snooty waiter served mediocre food, in very small portions, and didn't bother to check up on the table during the meal - not even once. It was clear that we were inconveniencing the waiter just by being seated at his table.

Besides the lack of refills on sodas, the food looked and tasted like a dinner made in a dorm lounge microwave. The appetizer - mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat in a b?chamel sauce - was an exception, as it was tasty and reminiscent of good clam chowder. Sadly, this was a false hope for the main course. The tiny bowl of rigatoni with chicken and broccoli was cold and uninteresting. The Caesar salad was very average, not to mention very small as well. Too bad the flavor forgot to show up at this meal.

Regarding prices, the food is overpriced for the amount that is served, compared to other similar Italian restaurants. Students are better off choosing any other restaurant in Georgetown. Perhaps the only thing going for Ristorante Piccolo is its charming fa?ade. Those who do decide to eat at this restaurant should try to sit outside on the second floor balcony; it's a romantic spot and great for people watching, weather permitting. Don't stupidly decide, however (like we did), that a shady and windy 55-degree afternoon is considered permissible. Definitely think twice before eating at this restaurant.

Rating: Two out of five salt and pepper shakers

Caf? Bonaparte French cuisine 1522 Wisconsin Avenue (202) 333-8830 Price range: $10-25 per person

In the two years that this Parisian caf? has been open, it has become very popular for people in the know, so expect a wait if you didn't make reservations. Our waitress offered courteous and timely service. The bold d?cor of reds and golds offer a rich and stylish dining experience.

There are three choices when eating at Bonaparte. First, there is the breakfast/lunch choice, among omelets, traditional breakfast plates or the usual lunch of sandwiches or salads. The savory crepes, stuffed with real food, work well for lunch as well. The Florentine savory crepe was just okay, because it was filled with more of a sauce than food. Try the Belvedere breakfast for a tasty combination of French toast, eggs and fresh fruit. Don't expect a hearty breakfast though - the portions are French-sized.

Second, there is the dinner option for those who want a more extravagant meal. The food is more expensive (about twice the price) and elegant than the lunch. We recommend the crabmeat-stuffed salmon.

If your sweet tooth is lacking attention, the third option is dessert, with or without drinks. Bonaparte's sweet crepes are a delicious end to any meal and are even worth the trip themselves. We love the traditional Bonaparte crepe, filled with Nutella. There are many coffees and teas (and a fully stocked bar) to accompany your crepes.

Bonaparte is the perfect Parisian setting for good conversation and fantastic food to share among friends. Au revoir!

Rating: Four out of five salt and pepper shakers