Metro brief: GW students as extras in Nicole Kidman movie

More than a dozen George Washington University students have been cast as extras for the filming of the science fiction movie, "The Visiting," starring Nicole Kidman.

While some students said they expected a positive experience by making an appearance in a major motion picture, sophomore Alex Tatum, an extra hired last week, said the work was not as glamorous as expected, GW's student newspaper The Hatchet reported.

"Extras are just bodies," Tatum said after 10 hours of filming on 23rd Street Tuesday. "You have to hurry up and get ready, get into your position, and then you have to stand there and wait."

GW senior Laura Feder, a theater minor, said scores of GW students applied to be extras by going to a casting call, getting a head shot and then waiting for a return phone call weeks later.

"This is my dream," said Feder, who will earn a theater minor in May. "Even though I'm only an extra, this will bring me one step closer."

In the movie, Kidman plays a D.C. psychiatrist who discovers the origin of an alien epidemic.