Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

National briefs

Tropical storm Gamma threatens Florida

Tropical Storm Gamma could threaten South Florida this coming week, but is not expected to gain much strength, according to www.washingtonpost.com.

The storm drifted north along the coasts of Belize and Honduras on Saturday, and was likely to turn onto a path that could threaten Florida, according to www.washingpost.com.

The storm has already caused flooding and landslides in Honduras that killed at least two people and prompted the government to evacuate hundreds from coastal towns.

Gamma, the 24th storm of the busiest hurricane season on record, had top sustained wind near 45 mph, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said Saturday.

- KATE OCZYPOK

Oregon State U. students crash stolen golf cart

Three men and an untapped golf keg traveling in a stolen golf cart belonging to the Oregon State University golf team crashed into a university public safety vehicle on Saturday at about 7:30 p.m., according to police records.

The driver of the stolen cart, 28-year-old Ted Cersovski, refused to take a breath test but was cited for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, driving under the influence of intoxicants and reckless endangerment, police logs show. He reportedly told police he had paid somebody on campus $20 for the cart.

Two other men riding with Cersovski told police Cersovski offered them a ride in the cart.

- RYAN GRANNAN-DOLL

House proposes legislation about Tupac's death

Fans of Tupac Shakur may soon learn more about the rapper's death due to legislation proposed in the House last week.

The Tupac Amaru Shakur Records Collection Act of 2005 would require all federal, state and local agencies to release the files they have that pertain to the life and death of Shakur, including those obtained through surveillance and government operations.

"There's quite a bit of evidence that has come out over the years about the surveillance of [Shakur]," said John Judge, a spokesman for Rep. Cynthia McKinney, D- Ga."Apparently there were people that were surveying him at the time of his murder that were never questioned by police, and the murder never got solved."

- R. G.

High school senior elected mayor of Mich. town

After losing a bid for the student body vice presidency, 18-year-old high school senior Michael Sessions was elected mayor of Hillsdale, Mich. Sessions defeated incumbent Mayor Douglas Ingles by 64 votes using only $700 he made from a summer of work, according to ABC News.

Ineligible to be on the ballot because he was only 17 at the start of the campaign, Sessions ran as a write-in candidate, receiving an endorsement from the local fire department, ABC News said.

"I ran because I thought I could bring a difference to the city of Hillsdale." Sessions told ABC News.

Questions arose about Sessions' ability to balance school and mayoral duties.

"I'm a student from 7:50 to 2:30 each day, and from 3 until 6, I'll be doing the mayor's business," Sessions told CNN in an interview.

- RYAN GRANNAN-DOLL