Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Out of context

"I always thought Paul McCartney looked like a mouse."

-Neal Pattison, SOC professor

Like a deer in the headlights, a young woman stepping off the AU shuttle near the Katzen Arts Center froze when she saw, well, a deer idling on the lawn. Then, like a deer in most non-headlight situations, the AU student ran away. Friends later explained her irregular behavior as a symptom of "city slicker-itus." The deer was unavailable for comment. __

You know what's so cool? When you know so much about prices at the Eagle's Nest, that, like, you can just predict how much everything's going to cost, without even ringing it up!!! That's what a cashier appeared to be doing when some Scene staffers cruised by the joint for late night refreshments. If we had any clue that American University was hiring psychics, we totally would have set up a fortune telling business or something to pay our way through these here classes. On second thought, maybe if we go down there we can get some help with our math homework. __

An unwitting, sleep-deprived student received a rather unpleasant surprise after a few hours of frantically trying to finish a paper in the Anderson Computing Complex and then racing it to class last week. Later that afternoon, a friend who had been sitting next to him in said ACC asked, "So, did you proofread your paper before you turned it in?" "Well, no," admitted the student. "Oh," said the friend sheepishly. "Because I kind of typed 'POOP' on the top of page two when you got up to go to the bathroom." Let that be a lesson to you all, dear readers. __

A female student delved into her professor's personal life in a Reflections of American Society on Stage and Film Monday. After asking the recently shaven professor's age, she inquired about his marital status. After pausing a second, the professor authoritatively stated that yes, he indeed was married. Class began as usual. __

Imagine, if you will, a language classroom. The class is instructed to go around the room and say their favorite movie. One student said "Love Actually," the popular British romantic comedy staring Hugh Grant. "Love what?" said the teacher. "Love Actually." "Love what?" "Love Actually!" The poor woman just didn't understand. "Love Action?" "No." "Oh. I like 'Love Action' better." Tee he he. __

A special Scene salute to the opera patrons of our fair city. At the end of Tuesday night's performance of "Porgy and Bess" at the Kennedy Center (supposedly the pinnacle of the arts in the nation's capital), two Scene staffers were only mildly surprised when several elderly theatergoers left the hall during the curtain calls for the extras in the performance. Surprise quickly turned to shock, however, when the standing ovation for the lead characters turned into an exodus for the exits. The Scene understands that Kennedy Center opera aficionados need to bolt quickly to their BMWs and head for suburbia, but after a nearly four hour opera is it too much to ask to cheer for five more minutes?

-Compiled by the Scene staff

Email your Out of Context Moments to totallyoutofcontext@gmail.com