Salazar memorial service packs Kay to capacity

The 280-seat Kay Spiritual Life Center was packed to standing room only capacity for a memorial service honoring the life of Class of 2005 President Chris Salazar Thursday evening.

Salazar died last week after falling from a fourth-floor balcony at his apartment in NW D.C.

University Chaplain Joe Eldridge, who opened the service, encouraged those present to carry the "spark that was Chris's life" with them and then invited Mark Schaeffer, United Methodist chaplain, and eight student speakers to the podium to share their stories about Salazar.

"I wish we didn't have to gather under these circumstances," Eldridge said. "Tonight we are called to mourn and to grieve, and to honor and celebrate Chris's remarkable life."

Schaeffer called on students to remember Salazar's legacy at AU, mentioning his work to raise thousands for the Katzen Arts Center and his efforts in the GLBT community.

"Chris really did live every day like it was his last," said Jessica Silver, a sophomore in the School of International Service. "He was like an older brother and mentor to me."

David Kokell, a member of the class of 2005, said that Salazar always lived by the quote: "It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you aren't."

"Chris and I always joked that we would start a business together after college," Kokell said. "We had three rules: it would be easy and fun, had no initial investment and it would make us filthy rich."

Some students who spoke knew Chris from their freshman year at AU.

Iain Johnston, a member of the class of 2005, shared his memories of Chris in finite math their freshman year of college.

"I used to think he was such a nerd, being up in the front row with his calculator" Johnston said. "He is the most human person I've ever met ... Chris really was a spectacle to watch and listen to."

Johnston also spoke the plans Salazar and he made to live together with friends. "Chris always joked that we were The Real World from another planet," he said.

Matthew McQuilkin, a senior in the School of Public Affairs, admitted that he didn't like Salazar at first.

"He was too in-your-face and loud," he said. "Later, I realized that those were all the reasons that I loved him."

McQuilkin also talked about Salazar's love of religion, and the fact that he was always searching for the right one.

"Chris always used to say that if he didn't come out, he would have been a priest," McQuilkin said.

According to Megan Hamilton, a member of the class of 2005, and Salazar's best friend, she grew up with him at AU. The two had Global Sociology together their freshman year at AU.

"We discussed ridiculously random stuff like whether or not Chris should highlight his hair," Hamilton said. "Chris was always in awe of things ... He got so excited about everything."

Eric Jost, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, had a two-year relationship with Salazar.

"We were the opposite of each other, I was very shy and quiet," Jost said. "Chris enjoyed the stereotypical college life."

Jost recalled the first Christmas he shared with Salazar.

"We went ice-skating at the National Gallery of Art and Chris fell so many times," he said. "He gave me a gift certificate to get my eyebrow pierced, which we had always talked about doing."

Jost and Salazar talked about their future together, including their plans to get married and raise a family.

"The last time I saw Chris was in October and we had a fight," Jost said. "It scares me that he was angry with me when he died ... I want him to know that I love him, miss him and will never forget him."

Mindy Michels, director of the GLBTA resource center, then invited any of those present who wished to speak come forward.

A doctoral student in anthropology remembered Salazar's persistence.

"He had missed a lot of my classes," said the student, Michelle Carnes. "I had overheard him in the hallway discussing with another professor how much he deserved an A in my class ... his persistence scared me.

The service ended with a reading of the poem "Second Spring" by Audre Lorde and the song "Wear Sunscreen" by Baz Luhrmann was played.

This is advice that Chris lived by, Michels said before the song was played. Party poppers were released by mourners to "honor Chris's love for celebrations," according to Michels.

Aditi Dussault, a senior in CAS who also works for the GLBTA Resource Center, said the service was hard to coordinate.

"From an organizing perspective, Chris's death hit so many people so hard, it was tough to get together," Dussault said. "Overall, I think the service went very well and we were able to pull it off with such short notice."

"I think it was an important moment for members of the AU community and friends of Chris to grieve and celebrate together," Michels said. "I think it's part of the healing process to come together as a community and move its people forward"