Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Scene brief: Kennedy Center will host live simulcast of opera

Aching for some opera but can't afford the $50 ticket? Love the Kennedy Center but prefer to enjoy the last nice days of autumn outside? The Washington National Opera has found a solution. In honor of their 50th Anniversary, the opera will host a free simulcast performance of Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess" on the National Mall this Sunday, Nov. 6, at 2:00 p.m.

No tickets are required to view the simulcast. The performance will be transmited live from the Kennedy Center to an 18-foot by 32-foot LED video screen, making it the first time a live performance has ever been transmitted to the Mall. It should draw a diverse crowd.

"Opera is for everyone, of all ages and backgrounds. It's an amazing experience - an art form full of glorious music, passion, and spectacle," Washington National Opera General Director Pl cido Domingo said. "I am very happy that thousands of people will be able to enjoy this opera for free. I hope this is the beginning of a new tradition."

"Porgy and Bess" is the most popular American opera in history and is performed in English. The national opera's presentation will feature some of the greatest black singers in the world. It is the story of how the beggar Porgy (Gordon Hawkins) wins the gorgeous Bess (Indira Mahajan) from her current flame, and whether or not he can hang on to her in bustling New York City. These residents of Catfish Row share their troubles and successes with their strong, vibrant community through such well-known songs as "Summertime" and "It Ain't Necessarily So."

Make sure to check out this important slice of American musical culture, and bring some hot chocolate and a blanket along. If Sunday is already booked, "Porgy and Bess" will also be broadcast live by National Public Radio, in D.C. on WETA-FM and across the United States and 26 European countries on Nov. 12. The opera runs at the Kennedy Center until Nov. 19.