Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Tech bits

Xbox 360 in stores Tuesday

Eager gamers will be able to pick up Microsoft's new video game console, the Xbox 360, starting Tuesday. Best Buy will open at 9 a.m., an hour earlier than usual, and tech-heads who line up will be given priority to buy one of the consoles. An employee at the Tenleytown Best Buy said the store will have 100 systems available. Xbox 360 controllers and several of its launch games are already on sale.

Revolution to include controls for parents

In the midst of a wave of criticism over video games containing violence and sex getting into the hands of children despite a ratings system, Nintendo last week said their next console, codenamed Revolution, will feature controls for parents to prevent their kids from playing titles meant for older gamers. The control works similarly to the V-Chip, and will be based on the Electronic Software Rating Board's guide.

The Microsoft Xbox and Xbox 360 already have a similar feature in place for parents. Sony's PlayStation 2 only includes a control for DVDs. Sony has yet to reveal a parental lock option for the PlayStation 3.

Ads added to Matrix game

"The Matrix Online," a massively multiplayer video game set in the virtual world of "The Matrix" movies, will soon include real-world advertising by Massive, Inc. Sony Online Entertainment said a patch, "Update 38," will become available this week. Ads for actual products by Massive's partners will be displayed as billboards throughout the game's setting of Mega City. Sony said these ads will be updated frequently.

Massive currently has advertising in "SWAT 4," "Anarchy Online" and "Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory."

"King Kong" cast to appear in video game adaptation

Ubisoft today announced the stars of Peter Jackson's upcoming "King Kong" film remake will appear in the big ape's video game. Jack Black, Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody will lend their voices to the game. 3D likenesses of Black and Watts will also appear.

"We want the movie and the videogame to be a shared experience, so having the voices and likenesses of the actors is very important," Jackson said. "Jack Black loves seeing himself running around the jungles of Skull Island and it's fun watching him actually play the game."

The "King Kong" video game will ship on Nov. 22 for the PC, Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Microsoft Xbox and Xbox 360.

France stamps video game characters

New postal stamps in France feature popular characters from video games. Included in the 10-stamp series are Mario, Link (from "The Legend of Zelda"), Donkey Kong, Ray Man, Pac-Man, Lara Croft, Spyro the Dragon, the Sims, French game character Adibou and the protagonist of "Prince of Persia." A 60-page book about gaming featuring an introduction by Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutarugi has also been released to celebrate the new stamps.