Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Tech bits

Sony stops production of anti-piracy music CDs that leave computers vulnerable

Sony BMG Music Entertainment on Friday halted production of music CDs with anti-piracy software that can leave a user's computer susceptible to viruses and hacking. The software's presence on a computer allows hackers to plant malicious programs that avoid detection. Sony included the program on about 20 recent releases.

Sony created the anti-piracy software, called "XCP" technology, to prevent users from making large numbers of CD copies. It also stopped music lovers from ripping music for MP3 players that do not accept Microsoft's WMA music format, including Apple's iPod. Sony says they are re-examining the software to eliminate security holes.

Xbox 360 backwards-compatible with over 200 games

Gamers have known for a while the next-generation Xbox 360 hitting stores on Nov. 22 would be backwards-compatible with the current Microsoft console, but until Friday Microsoft has declined to state how many games would still run correctly on the new system. Turns out the 360 will play 212 games by launch and Microsoft says they are working on increasing the number.

Also, users of Microsoft's online service "Xbox Live" who play old games on the 360 will still be able to play against users on the current Xbox.

Nintendo Revolution to be least expensive of next-gen consoles

Nintendo's upcoming "Revolution" will be the cheapest next-generation console on the market when it is released in 2006, Reggie Fils-Aime, Executive Vice President of sales and marketing for Nintendo of America, told CNN/Money last week. Fils-Aime did not state an exact price.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 is priced at $399 for a model containing a hard drive and $299 for a "core" model without. Sony has yet to name a price for its PlayStation 3.

'Half-Life 2' expansion delayed

"Aftermath," an expansion pack to Valve Software's critically acclaimed "Half-Life 2," will hit stores in 2006, the developer said last week. The storyline-extending add-on was originally slated for release this month.

"We're working very hard to finish this new episode for ['Half-Life 2']," Valve director of marketing Doug Lombardi told fan site halflife2.com. "However, it's going to take us a bit more time to get it into top shape. As such, the target release for this one is now February or March of next year."

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection now online

Nintendo last week announced the Wi-Fi service for its DS handheld is now fully operational on the official Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection web site, nintendowifi.com. DS players can use the Web site to learn about how the service works and the best ways to access it. The first three DS games to make use of the connection, "Mario Kart DS," "Animal Crossing: Wild World" and "Tony Hawk's Sk8land," hit store shelves tomorrow.