Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The Hit List

Five things worthy of your time

1. Bob Saget

He's dirty, he's old, he's awesome - and he's coming to GW's Lisner Auditorium this Tuesday night for $30. It's ironic! See, he used to be the cleanest of the clean cut, Dad to America's first family (the "Full House" family, that is). Now he tells the foulest, most expletive-drenched comedy on the circuit, much to the delight of those who once watched him raise the Olsen twins.

2. Menupix.com

Collages, origami and trash. That's about all the stacks of menus sitting in the corner of every dorm room are good for now that menupix.com has launched their D.C. Web site. Menus are scanned in and organized by cuisine and neighborhood and are totally unable to give anyone paper cuts, ever. This more finger-friendly method of perusing food options at 3 a.m. lovingly places even more of our lives online.

3. Doin' it for Dimebag

On Dec. 8, 2004, our society lost an American legend. The gang-land style shooting of Damageplan/Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott left a hole in our hearts that, one year later, still needs to be filled. Memorialize Dimebag in your everyday life to make the mourning process easier. Eat your lunch, for Dimebag! Ace that psych exam, for Dimebag! Call your parents, for Dimebag! Whatever you do, do it for Dimebag.

4. Andrew Thompson - "We're in Business"

"Never trust robots!" Do you hear us, California electorate? Don't trust 'em! Not even half a robot. This song, this warning, this sentiment, may just save your life. Do yourself a favor and check it out on any of the many blogs that have posted the tune in recent days. It's part cool jazz, part '80s sleaze, part sound advice and all awesome.

5. ytcracker

Bryce Case, Jr., retired hacker, internet porn entrepreneur and Colorado Springs resident, is commonly known as the first nerdrapper. In his raps, Case, a.k.a. ytcracker, namedrops Web sites like Genmay and SomethingAwful, computer games like "Guild Wars" and the Nintendo Power Glove in order to promote nerd life. In 1998, at only 17, he received national attention by hacking into NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in order to warn the U.S. government about security flaws. YT shares all of his music online for free, including his group, Spamtec, the Wu-Tang Clan of nerdrap. You can download the tracks at ytcracker.com, including his latest release, "Nerdrap Entertainment System," where ytcracker spits verses about the now-defunct Coca-Cola beverage Surge, how he hated gym and defeated "Contra" with only one life over beats constructed from Nintendo music like the intro to "Mega Man 3" and the classic "Zelda" theme.

-Compiled by The Scene staff.