Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

'The View' films at AU

On Wednesday morning, members from each of AU's sororities participated in a live national television broadcast of ABC's daytime talk show "The View."

Star Jones, one of the five co-hosts of "The View," is an AU alumna and was president of the AU chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha.

AKA, a historically black sorority, was founded at Howard University in 1908 as America's first greek-letter organization established by black college, according to its web site, www.aka1908.com.

The students were part of a "Viewing Party," in which a small group of people participates in "The View" via satellite feed. ABC decorated the room in Anderson where the taping was held, and also catered the event.

The taping included members from 11 different sororities, five from AKA, and one from every other sorority on campus according to Danny Kelley, the director of greek life on campus.

A producer for "The View" called and asked for 15 members of AKA to represent the sorority on the show. However, the current AKA chapter on campus has five members, so the opportunity was opened up to the entire AU sorority population to meet request for a 15-member audience, according to Jennifer Greene, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and a member of AKA.

AKA sent an e-mail to all sororities on campus to ask them to send one woman to represent their respective organization. These members had to be outgoing and far from camera shy, the e-mail said.

Ren? Pickett, co-advisor for AKA, took part in the show and said she was happy to be represented on TV, especially at a school as small as AU. She said she is happy that Jones is reaching back to her alma mater.

This "Viewing Party" is also positive exposure for Greek life, "not only at AU but nationwide," Kelley said.

The girls were presented gifts that included a digital camera and printer and a CD player from the Sharper Image.

The opening for the show was filmed in the early morning at AU's front gate on Massachusetts Avenue. AU cheerleaders and the spirit squad provided entertainment for the camera. The large group and camera crew caused a ruckus for morning rush-hour-drivers, who slowed down as they passed the action near Ward Circle.

After taping the pre-recorded welcome sequence, the group went back to Anderson 2U, where the producers and camera crew had set up an entire set for taping. Two AKA members made statements during the filming, while five other women were given the opportunity to ask questions to "The View" show guests Neil Diamond and Teri Garr. Throughout the filming, the women were told by a producer to cheer loudly, "like Usher is walking through the door."

Couches were set up in Mary Graydon Center for students to watch the taping.

"It hopefully gives a positive face to Greek life," said Alyssa Schmalenberger, a junior in the School of Communication.