'Be' week sparks campus unity

This week AU's Student Government is sponsoring "Be Week" in order to unite the campus.

"The campaign has really taken off ... the ultimate goal of the campaign is to bring the campus closer," said Leah Kreimer, vice president of the Student Government who also planned most of the "Be Week" activities.

Representatives were also on hand to talk to students and get their feedback on the SG.

"A big part was to get out there and talk to students as part of student government," said Erika Langhart, Class of 2009 Senator.

The "Be" campaign has encountered tremendous success, with various organizations requesting "Be" apparel and themes.

"In order to get everyone unified, you have to get everyone to be part of the campaign ... which we've done," Kreimer said.

"Be Week" involves various activities, such as a political Ultimate Frisbee game Wednesday in which the College Republicans wore "Be Right" T-shirts and the College Democrats wore "Be a Smartass" shirts.

The activities throughout the week aim to support campus unity and celebrate the success of the "Be" campaign.

"We tried to include as many organizations as we could," Kreimer said.

The week began on Monday, when Chevy displayed two of its new models of cars and gave students various prizes.

On Tuesday, the SG arranged for TDR to be open all day. In keeping with the theme of the week, all foods were labeled with "Be" slogans and free buttons were given out.

On Wednesday, SG representatives handed out free "Be" items, the most popular of which was a magnet that had the 25 most-called numbers on campus including public safety and the various members of the Residence Hall Association.

The activities will continue throughout the rest of the week. On Thursday, SG will join the School of Communication in a film festival screening at 10 p.m. in the Wechsler Theater.

On Friday, the SG, Habitat for Humanity Club and the McDowell Hall RHA will host a Tread-a-thon in the Jacobs Fitness Center where teams will run on treadmills all night to raise money for hurricane relief.

The SG will also continue promoting the "Be" campaign when they team up with the Athletic Department to sponsor "Be There Week," which will feature athletic events, including the first men's basketball home game.

"I love Be Week," said Matt Kent, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs. "I gladly endorse anything that means there will be more of those delightful 'Be' shirts out there."

Kreimer sees the "Be" campaign continuing throughout campus where she would ultimately like to "fill Bender area at a basketball game with everyone wearing 'Be' shirts"