Finals, holiday season overwhelm already stressed students

As students returned to campus this week following the Thanksgiving holiday, many were welcomed back by thoughts of finals and the upcoming holiday season, which both have the potential to cause stress.

"I feel like in the weeks between fall break and Thanksgiving, we're working really hard and just waiting for Thanksgiving break," said Melanie Mitzman, a senior in the School of Communication. "When we finally have it and we're rested, we just have to jump start ourselves again, which is really hard,because it's only two weeks before finals start and it's a lot to take in and do in a short period of time."

Mitzman said it seems like work piles up at this time of year.

"Professors really tend to load up a lot of work in the weeks between Thanksgiving and finals," she said.

For students who are feeling higher than average stress levels, AU's Counseling Center offers services to help students cope.

"We offer a variety of both individual and group services for students," said Dr. Amy Bowers, assistant director for outreach and consultation for the Counseling Center. "We have stress management programs on campus that are full right now, but we also tend to work with resident assistants for floor events."

The Counseling Center plans to table in Mary Graydon Center on Dec. 15, Bower said.

"We will be passing out hot chocolate and providing other sorts of stress busters," she said.

According to Dr. Bowers, the Counseling Center typically sees an increase in student visits this time of year.

"Usually we see a steady flow, but we tend to see more students over these next few weeks because of academic, holiday and graduation stress issues," Bowers said.

Generally, Bowers said she tries to encourage people when they are most stressed and tells them to take time for self-care.

"I tell them to relax, and try not to do anything directly related to their work, which can be hard to do," she said.

Bowers also encourages students to be proactive about stress management and to attend one of the stress management workshops offered in the future.

The Residence Hall Association is also planning on study break events for students living in each of AU's six residence halls.

"We are having a North Side karaoke night from 9 p.m. until midnight on Dec. 12 in the Hughes Formal Lounge," said Paul Jamain, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and the president of the Leonard Hall RHA.

Prizes for the karaoke night include a $20 Best Buy gift card, a $10 Starbucks gift card and bags of candy, Jamain said.

Eric Ratner, resident director of McDowell and Hughes Halls, is planning a finals study break on Dec. 19 with McDowell and Hughes Halls.

"We will be having a 'stress-free zone' with various stations such as massages, yoga and stress ball-making," Ratner said.

Coffee and doughnuts will also be provided at the event.

Ratner is also talking with Professor-in-residence Joesph Campbell about possible plans for free bagels and juice in the McDowell lobby the morning of the first day of finals.

"My resident assistants are also planning on impromptu events on their floors," Ratner said.

Students and administrators are able to plan study break events such as getting together for snacks for an hour, according to Gail Hanson, vice president of campus life.

"On the other hand, we have prohibited formal programming such as fraternity and sorority formals, speakers and films," Hanson said. "Any programming that happens will be low-key."

Other AU students feel that stress is part of being a college student.

"I'm working here on final papers, homework, projects and presentations," said Matt Espina, a freshman in the School of International Service. "If you're looking for lots of stress, though, you're asking the wrong guy. This is all just a part of college, and I wouldn't be here if I couldn't handle it."

Jeremy Taylor, a senior in SIS said he procrastinates during finals time by playing Xbox.

"Finals are most definitely stressful but it's all about what you do and what you surround yourself with," Taylor said. "As for myself, I look forward to Primal Scream."

Primal Scream is an annual event unique to North Side that takes place on the first night of finals at midnight.

"Well I'm not sure about the history or purpose of Primal Scream, but what I do know is that it is a very interactive event where those of us lucky enough to be in the seventh-floor suite [in McDowell Hall] have quite the view but are also able to supply quite the view," Taylor said.

For more information on AU's Counseling Center, visit their Web site at www.american.edu/ocl/counseling and for information on study break events, visit the my.american.edu Web portal.