Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Gospel choir performs annual holiday concert

Students were encouraged to get up and clap their hands to the beat of AU's Gospel Choir Saturday afternoon as part of the group's annual Christmas concert in the Kay Spiritual Life Center.

Kay was filled to near capacity with students. The concert began with a warm-up by the Praise Team, which included Chaplain Joy Henry, a junior in the School of Communication. The Praise Team sang traditional songs such as "Silent Night" and "Angels We Have Heard on High."

Daron Jennings, a sophomore in SOC and vice president of the gospel choir, introduced the choir and MAster of Ceremonies Issam Khoury, a resident director in Letts Hall.

The choir processed down the center aisle of Kay to "Come Let Us Adore Him."

Halfway through the concert, the choir took an offering to help with their funds. The Praise Team sang during the offering, including a solo by Tanisha Armstead, a freshman in the School of International Service who sang, "O Come All Ye Faithful."

The second half of the concert included traditional gospel songs. Pianist E. Justin Simone, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, performed "Carol of the Bells."

The final song was "Jesus O What a Wonderful Child," performed with doloidt Shayna Hayes, junior in SOC.

AU students who were in attendance felt the concert was a great way to relieve some of the stress from finals.

"The Gospel Choir's holiday concert was a great way to uplift students right before the stress of finals plague campus," said Christina Wright, a junior in SOC who attended the concert. "The gospel choir did a phenomenal job. I can't say that many groups can make you sing, dance, serve as a stress reliever and get you in the holiday spirit all in one night, let alone two hours"