Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The hit list

1. X-Men 3 Teaser Trailer

The third X-Men movie is coming out this summer, and 20th Century Fox released the first trailer last week. Though merely a teaser, the preview includes a sweet montage of action, including some hints at plot points (Dark Phoenix, anyone?). There's even a few shots of Kelsey Grammar (a.k.a. Frasier Crane) as the big blue Beast! Definitely worth a look. View the trailer at www.apple.com.

2. Holiday textbook bonuses

Did you know AU gives its students holiday bonuses? Yep, all you have to do is bring those expensive textbooks you may or may not have read back to the bookstore. If you're lucky, a clerk there will offer you about a quarter of their original value. Enjoy your holiday bonus!

3. "The Producers"

Mel Brooks is well-known for films such as "Blazing Saddles," "Spaceballs" and "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," but 1960s feature "The Producers" starring Gene Wilder was largely unnoticed in comparison to his other pictures. It took a surprising breakthrough on Broadway with Nathan Lane and Mathew Broderick playing the title roles for this satirical comedy to get the notice it deserves. This month, Brooks brings his movie back to the big screen with his theatre actors in order to expose a new generation to "Springtime for Hitler." Between trips to see Narnia and King Kong, take a couple of hours to see a new classic from one of the funniest filmmakers in American history.

4. Talkingonline.com

For all of you bored overworked students, www.talkingonline.com is the place to go. Type whatever you desire and one of four voices (three male, one female) will say it. You can also control the voice's speed and volume. They even sound British! Try putting in song lyrics, a string of expletives, or turning your laptop's volume to maximum and having the Web site answer your professor's questions.

5. Richard Pryor Even "Brewster's Millions" couldn't save Richard Pryor last Saturday from a heart attack. Pryor's death, at 65, ended a long fight with multiple sclerosis and cocaine addiction. Pryor had tempted death before, suffering burns on 50 percent of his body after freebasing cocaine. If a man who could light himself on fire and survive fell victim to a heart attack, what chance do the rest of us have? We here at The Eagle would like to remind you to keep your heart healthy, and try and ease off the rock.

-Compiled by The Scene staff.