Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

New teaching position for Mexican diplomats

With immigration and border control sparking national debate, university officials announced a new, permanent teaching position for Mexican diplomats at AU.

After a successful trial run, a Mexican diplomat will start a year-long teaching and research residency at AU in fall 2006.

Outgoing Mexican diplomat-in-residence Marcela Celorio was praised at a campus dinner Tuesday night by university officials for her groundbreaking work.

"[The diplomat-in-residence program] is our effort to reach out to those who are doing what we want to teach," said acting-President Neil Kerwin. "This program is an outstanding contribution to American University."

For the past semester, Celorio, a political officer at the Mexican Embassy in Washington, has devoted her time at AU to researching North American security issues.

She also helped the Center for North American Studies devise a permanent role for the incoming Mexican diplomat-in-residence.

Ambassador Carlo de Icaza of Mexico praised the program as a means of promoting new ways of thinking about North American integration.

"Diplomacy cannot be something left to diplomats," he said. Academics have a role to play as well.

Celorio said that increasing academic exchanges between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico will help people better understand the bonds the three countries share.

"There is a benefit [from North American integration] and we need to fight for that so the common citizen will be aware," she said.

The attitudes that Americans have about Mexicans, or Mexicans have about Americans are hard to adjust, she said. "It's not going to change from one day to another."

"But you start by talking about your experience," Celorio said.

"I learned a lot and I can share that with my colleagues at the embassy," she said. "I will stress the importance of getting to know each other better.," Celorio said.

Celorio will start teaching part-time in the School of International Service this semester, while simultaneously working at the embassy.

A new diplomat, who has yet to be named, will take up the residency in the summer..

- SEAN MILLER

The Center for North American Studies was established to teach students about the history, economics, politics and societies of Canada, Mexico and the United States, including the countries' past differences and future prospects of a regional North American entity. Students looking for an experiential component of their studies at the center can participate in a study abroad program in Mexico.

The AU Abroad program in Mexico focuses on the relationship between the United States and Mexico and includes topics such as migration and trade.

Students interested in studying in Mexico can chose to study at one of several Mexican universities in Monterrey, Mexico City and Guadalajara. One of the Mexico programs is an intensive language program that allows students the chance to increase their language skills and learn about the history and culture of Mexico.

To encourage students to study abroad in Mexico, those who apply are eligible for a North American Scholarship, which awards them up $5,000 towards their semester abroad. For more information visit the AU Abroad website at auabroad.american.edu.

-KYRA SMERKANICH