SG Senate discusses financial allocations

Legislation gives money to 'Be' campaign and Founder's Day Ballv

The Undergraduate Senate passed two pieces of legislation reallocating a total of $18,500 to the Student Government executives to fund programming for the spring semester.

The first piece of legislation, Bill 05-06-013, transferred $7,500 to the SG General account to continue funding the "Be" Campaign. The original legislation asked that $10,000 be moved from the SG Restricted account to the SG General account, but an amendment authored by Class of 2009 Senator Katie LaPotin. The Senate reduced the amount to $7,500.

The second piece of legislation, Bill 05-06-014, transferred $8,500 from the SG Restricted Account to fund the Founder's Day Ball and other Founder's Week expenses. The legislation also transferred $2,500 to the VP General Account for additional spring programming, such as the Spring Fling.

As previously reported by The Eagle, the leftover money from the SG restricted fund has traditionally been given to the Kennedy Political Union and the Student Union Board to bring a well-known speaker or band to campus during the spring semester.

Student Government Secretary Joe Vidulich went before the Senate to say that by replenishing the SG General account, that the "Be" campaign would continue unifying the campus, by allowing the executives to cosponsor clubs and organizations who want to purchase "Be" items.

"This is not just about t-shirts anymore; this is about uniting faculty and students on campus, and being proud to be an American University student," Vidulich said.

Senator-at-large Joshua Cahan and Class of 2008 Senator Charlie Biscotto, among others in opposition of the legislation, were concerned with the amount of money being reallocated. Senator Cahan questioned specifically where the money was going, saying that giving money to be used for the "Be" Campaign was very broad.

J.D. Teitelman, proxy for Class of 2007 Senator Nick Johnson, voiced his concern saying that by passing the legislation the Senate was being fiscally irresponsible. "They're being bullied by the executives," Teitelman said.

Legislation concerning combating false fire alarms on the South Side Complex was sent back to committee to further review suggestions by Residence Hall Association President Will Mount.

The Senate also confirmed School of Public Affairs freshman, Derek Torrey as the Director of Founder's Day.