Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The Best of 2006: Part Deux - fun and then some

Exactly one week ago, The Scene brought you a brief run-down of the most awesome things to look forward to in the coming year. But that revealed that there's so much more to look forward to! Thus, enjoy this second installment of the Best of 2006.

6. "Factory Girl" - coming in September

Imagine a movie about Andy Warhol's Factory starring Guy Pearce, Sienna Miller and Hayden "Star Wars" Christensen in which not one, but TWO members of Weezer play bit parts as the Velvet Underground. Sound appetizing? Weezer guitarist Brian Bell is slated to play the one and only Lou Reed and drummer Pat Wilson will play John Cale, according to an article from pitchforkmedia.com. Check out Pat Wilson's side project's website (www.thespecialgoodness.com) for a photo of Mr. Wilson doing his best John Cale impression.

5. New album mayhem

Everyone's favorite artists have new albums coming out. Radiohead, The Walkmen, The Streets, Robert Goulet - if you like good music, then you picked the right year to be alive. With a new year comes new hope for fabled albums to finally see the light of day. Realistically, Clipse's "Hell Hath No Fury" could finally drop. If the moon and stars align, "Detox" from Dr. Dre could be on the racks by the winter solstice. If you are still waiting for Guns and Roses' "Chinese Democracy," well, move on, baby. Move on.

4. The Flaming Lips Movie - December

How long has the Lips' "Christmas on Mars" been in production? Only God knows. Not to mention the guys have a new record coming out. Lead singer Wayne Coyne said "At War with the Mystics" is going to be a departure from their more orchestral, spacey stuff of late, according to an interview with Billboard. So more rock. But the Lips' website cautions, "It'll be more Yes than Sabbath!" So be wary, you rockers. They'll also most likely be touring in the summer, according to Billboard, and are apparently one of the hottest bills this side of GWAR.

3. "The Magical Position" by Patrick Wolf - sometime this summer

Eagle fave Patrick Wolf, the Irish Everyman and Duke of the Uke, is coming out with his third record in as many years. Not only is it exciting that Wolf is so prolific, but his first album (2003's "Lycanthropy") was great, and his second (2004's "Wind in the Wires") was completely different. Not better - just different, which is just as well.

2. Wu Tang Clan on tour

This is big news, especially since one of WTC's top contributing members (Ol' Dirty Bastard aka Big Baby Jesus aka Russell Tyrone Jones) died in 2004. To celebrate the life and times of Dirty, all of the original Wu plan to appear at every tour stop. Besides the rapping and overabundance of Shogun Assassin references sure to take shape, there are plans to have roundtable discussions in the middle of each show with each living Wu-Tang member recounting their experiences with their fallen counterpart. Plus, Ghostface Killah will be there - so close that fans could touch him.

1. The Silver Jews

Even more exciting than a band that hasn't toured in three or four years is a 10-year-old band that has never toured, ever. That's right: The Silver Jews, aka Dave Berman and company, are touring the country for the first time. The closest they'll get to D.C. is Baltimore, but the drive will be well worth it to see a band that a) anyone's hardly had the chance to see live, b) really, truly rules and c) has lyrics like "I love you to the max!" and "I wish they didn't put mirrors behind the bar/'Cause I can't stand the look on my face when I don't know where you are." Be excited!