Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Metro briefs

Students protest Belarusian dictatorshop

Students for a Global Democracy protested against Belarusan dictatorship last Thursday in front of the Belarusian Embassy on New Hampshire Avenue.

The students joined citizens worldwide in protesting on behalf of Belarusian political prisoners, abducted opposition leaders and missing journalists, according to a Students for Global Democracy International press release.

January's demonstrations drew over 45 protestors in D.C. As the elections get closer, this number is expected to double.

- KATE OCZYPOK

D.C. highway traffic worsens

Highway traffic in D.C. has become so bad that it is prohibiting continuous traffic movement and hinders an efficient commute, according to new study of the region reported in The Washington Post.

Previously efficient commuter routes were turning short commutes into much longer ones. The cause of these delays is attributed to the doubling of traffic on some highways in the past three years, said the study.

"Growth in traffic is outpacing growth in capacity, and that's the continuing story here, unfortunately," Transportation Planning Director for the Metropolitan Washington Council Of Government Ronald F. Kirby told The Washington Post.

The report comes at a critical time when leaders in the region are considering additional funding for transportation upgrades, said The Washington Post.

-RYAN GRANNAN-DOLL

New metro rail legislation being considered

New pieces of legislation being considered by D.C., Md., and Va. would give the D.C. Metro rail system a dependable source of funding, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

The new legislation if passed, would meet an ultimatum made in a separate proposed bill to give Metro $1.5 billion in federal assistance. The aid would only be provided if all three jurisdictions promise to support a dependable source of funding for Metro.

Raising taxes is one of the possible ways to provide new dedicated funding, The Post said.

All the jurisdictions agree on the need for dedicated funding, but in the upcoming election year, politics and other interests could hinder the effort.

- R.G.D