National briefs

Intelligence unit flagged September 11 terrorist

A secret Pentagon intelligence unit flagged September 11 hijacker Mohammed Atta 13 times before the attacks ,said Rep. Curt Weldon in an Associated Press report Wednesday.

Weldon also said in 2000 the "Able Danger" intelligence unit identified "a problem" in Yemen shortly before the U.S.S. Cole terrorist attack, but the Cole's commander was never informed.

Weldon said if the commander had any clue of this, he would not have docked the Cole in Yemen.

The former September 11 commission members dispute Weldon's claims.

Weldon has recently prodded the Pentagon and Congress to investigate the "Able Danger."

- RYAN GRANNAN-DOLL

Supreme Court Chief Justice judges mock court

U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts judged a George Washington University Moot Court session Thursday, according to the GW Hatchet.

Four third-year law students divided into pairs and competed before Chief Justice Roberts along with two other judges. The students were judged on their oral, written and overall performances.

Roberts, who stayed silent during most of the session except to ask questions, told the Hatchet that the critical part of a Moot Court is to play "devil's advocate" in order to make the competition challenging.

After the court proceedings, Roberts attended a ceremony and mingled with students. Roberts was asked to participate in the competition after he was nominated to the high court but before his nomination as chief justice.

- R.G.D.

D.C. officials call federal costs 'unfair'

Some local D.C. officials are saying costs incurred by the District to protect the president and vice president are unfair, WTOP Radio reported Monday.

D.C. Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice Ed Reiskin said he believes the federal government should pay the costs.

"These are costs that are caused clearly by the federal government that District taxpayers should not be paying for with local tax dollars," Reiskin told WTOP. "I think it's a responsibility that should be shared by all of the people of this country and therefore should be paid for with federal tax dollars."

The White House disagreed, saying it does not reimburse localities for protection costs anywhere.

According to the records, localities are required to provide police, fire and EMS support for President Bush, Vice President Cheney and foreign dignitaries when traveling via motorcade.

The city requests reimbursements from the federal government on a quarterly basis, but is not always fully reimbursed for infringed costs.

- R.G.D.