Metro briefs

Class to collect popcorn for foster students

On Thursday, March 30, members of Andrea Brenner's Sociology of the Family class will be collecting 2,500 packs of microwavable popcorn that will be placed in care packages with other items and shipped to foster children who are in college on scholarships.

According to Cosima Wadhwa, a junior in the School of Communication who is in the class, Professor Gemma Puglisi's Communication and Society class agreed to assist with Brenner's efforts.

"Her entire class is going to be split into three large groups, and will be given the task of raising as much money as possible so we can buy more popcorn," Wadhwa said.

Each team has to strategize how they will market the popcorn to students around campus.

"This is kind of like 'The Apprentice: AU style'," Wadhwa said.

- KATE OCZYPOK

AU alum will not testify in Moussaoui trial

Carla Martin, the Transportation Security Administration attorney and 1989 alum of AU's Washington College of Law, will not testify regarding her actions that delayed the trial of admitted September 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui.

Moussaoui's attorneys had subpoenaed Martin to testify about alleged witness tampering that brought Moussaoui's sentencing hearing to a halt. According to the court docket, Judge Leonie Brinkema quashed the subpoena.

No official reason for the quashing was given, but a subpoena can be dropped if the witness intends to assert his or her Fifth Amendment rights.

Martin previously declined to testify at a hearing about her actions, but her lawyers said she is preparing a public defense and explanation of her actions.

Martin previously e-mailed transcripts of the trial to seven witnesses, and coached their testimony. This violated strict court rules against witnesses attending or following the trial through transcripts.

-R.G.D.