Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

The hit list

Five things worthy of your time

1.. Renting movies that are too old to be on the Oscars

All the good stuff has already been done before, dudes. You can get hot love stories and totally awesome action in any given selection from the Hollywood video archives, so why even mess around? "Classics" usually only cost like $1.99 or something so that's a solid fifth (or tenth, counting snacks) of what you'd pay to go to a movie in the theater. Plus, you can pause, pee and check your away message without missing a beat. A homebody's delight.

2. Mr. American contest

We at The Scene endorse positive body images, regardless of gender. It's a social construction, anyway. The Mr. American pageant supports positive masculinity in a non-threatening, un-caveman manner while smashing the hegemonic beauty competition paradigm. It's also a platform for sensitive gentlemen to regale us with their acoustic guitar strums, and frankly, as private college undergrads, we just don't get enough of that. Thanks!

3. "Snakes on a Plane"

This plot outline is direct from imdb.com, a veritable fountain of truth on all your movie queries: "On board a flight over the Pacific Ocean, an assassin, bent on killing a passenger who's a witness in protective custody, let loose a crate full of deadly snakes." Not to mention the fact that Samuel L. Jackson is in it, one of the character's names is "iPod girl," and there's a screen shot of Kenan "Kenan and Kel" Thompson covered in snakes looking all confused. SNAKES ON A PLANE!!!!

4. Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! Flickr community

This is a consummate time-waster. At press time, there were approximately 30,419 user-uploaded photographs of puppies in various cute positions. Some are chewing on balls, others are frolicking in the snow, others are look just plain endearing. There are new pics to enjoy literally every hour and it's an adorable treat. Plus, the Flickr layout is pretty classy, so everyone at work will just assume that you're looking at some artful photography.

5. Spring break in one week

Whether you're going to Lake Havasu (that man-made lake that MTV took over for some "Party to Go" stuff, right?) or New York or no further than shuffling to the Metro in your jammies, Spring Break is feeling extra special this semester. There is a reason why we get a week off in the middle of the semester: It's friggin' rough trying to make it 'til May with only the residual taste of Winter Break in your mouth. And you can always remember that once SB is over, it's only a month and a half or so before summer. It's a hit!

-Compiled by the Scene staff