Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Eye solution linked to fungus

ReNu contact solution may cause blindness in users

Fusarium, a fungal infection that can cause red or swollen eyes, blurry vision and blindness may be linked to the usage of ReNu eye contact solution.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, there have been 109 cases of suspected fusarium that are currently under investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and public health officials in 17 states.

ReNu contact solution is produced by Bausch and Lomb, which pulled all of their ReNu products containing "moisture lock" off shelves following the outbreak of fusarium cases that were linked to its eye solution.

Bausch and Lomb contacted representatives from the FDA, the CDC and the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute to conduct more tests to determine if the use of ReNu eye contact solution caused fusarium.

"We're not coming to any conclusions that the product is causing the problem," an anonymous information representative for Bausch and Lomb said. "The FDA and CDC are on the case. They haven't ruled out that the moisture lock is causing the fungus; they're still running more tests."

Dr. Daniel Schultz, director of the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, said in an April 10 press release that soft contact lens wearers should exercise caution when handling lenses.

"We're advising consumers to practice good basic hygiene and follow manufacturers' instructions for proper use, cleaning and storage of their lenses and report any signs of infection to their doctors."

Fusarium can cause red, swollen or itchy eyes, eye discharge, tearing, pain, light sensitivity or blurry vision, according to the CDC.

The infection can be easily treated with an eye-drop treatment that lasts two to three months. However, if left untreated, the fungus can scar the cornea of the eye and cause blindness, according to The Associated Press.

Kathy Rizzo, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said she got an eye infection about three weeks ago after using the generic brand of ReNu with moisture lock. She said she could not wear her contacts for a week and only recently found out about the ReNu recall.

"I was really upset about that," she said.

Leah Moriarty, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she had not heard anything about ReNu possibly spreading the fungal infection from Bausch and Lomb or any other sources.

"I'm angry because this could be dangerous to my eyes," Moriarty said. "I will look for more information, and if it seems like it's dangerous for me to be using I will switch contact solutions."

The CDC and FDA have issued guidelines for handling contacts to avoid spreading the fungus or any similar infections. They recommend consulting a doctor immediately if someone experiences any of the symptoms associated with fusarium.

In addition, they also recommend taking basic precautions when handling contacts, such as washing hands before handling lenses, replacing and wearing contacts on the prescribed schedule, following cleaning and storage guides and making sure the contact case is kept clean.

Staff Writer Lauren Gardner contributed to this article.