Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Senior Class Council organizes O.R.G.Y. fellowship events

Week of freebies kicks-off final year

Next week's annual Opening to a Really Great Year, or O.R.G.Y. week, marks the official kick-off of senior year for the Class of 2007 with a full schedule of events.

O.R.G.Y. week is a class spirit tradition that this year's senior class will continue from Sept. 4-8, beginning Monday night at 9 p.m. with a Screen on the Green showing of "Nacho Libre" on the main quad.

Mark Stern, president of the Class of 2007 council, said he wants seniors to "make the most of this week" and hopes most of them turn out for the events.

Free prizes and reduced student prices will be key features of the week. T-shirts, key chains, coolers, cups and even travel clocks will be handed out, although seniors must go to more than one event to collect all five items.

In the past, 100-300 Class of 2007 members have attended class-sponsored events, but Stern said he is hoping this week will bring out even those who tend to shy away from these activities.

"It's really meant to be less of a class event and more like hanging out with your friends," Stern said.

Alicia Griffin, Class of 2007 secretary, said O.R.G.Y. week is "a great way to reunite with people we haven't seen because of studying abroad junior year."

Other pressing business facing the Class of 2007 council is the creation of the Senior Class Gift Committee. The committee is made up of about 10 seniors who have to apply for the position, Stern said. The Senior Class council hopes to get the committee started in late September, he said.

Those who can't make it to an O.R.G.Y. week event are in luck - Stern said there are other plans in store for the coming year, including the traditional class events at Chipotle, Chef Geoff's and Starbucks. Stern also said the Class of 2007 council is trying to add new locations for Senior Nights, possibly including The Front Page in Dupont Circle and Strike Bethesda.

Where the O.R.G.Y. is happening this week

Monday, Sept. 4 Screen on the Green, "Nacho Libre" Main Quad, 9 p.m.

Tuesday, Sept. 5 Senior Night at Four Green Fields Cleveland Park, 9:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Sept. 6 California Tortilla Free chips and salsa or queso with any meal purchase Cleveland Park, 5:30-7 p.m.

Cold Stone Creamery $1 for ice cream and mix-in Cleveland Park, 7-10 p.m.

Thursday, Sept. 7 Senior Night at Clyde's Chevy Chase, 10 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 8 Senior Night at the DC Improv Tickets half-off ($10) Students must purchase tickets ahead of time at any O.R.G.Y. week event. Farragut North Metro, 8:30 p.m.

For more information on O.R.G.Y. week or the Senior Class Gift Committee, e-mail 2007@ausg.org.