Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Comparing mayoral candidates before election

During the upcoming primary election on Sept. 12, D.C. voters will choose Democratic, Republican and D.C. Statehood Party nominees for a variety of city government offices. As a public service, The Eagle presents information on the mayoral primary candidates and the views they have on crime and education.

DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Linda Cropp Age: 58 Current Occupation: D.C. City Council Chair

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Cropp has been involved in District politics since 1980, when she was first elected to the D.C. Board of Education. She also served as the president of the Board from 1988 to 1989. Cropp was elected as an At-Large member of the D.C. City Council in 1990 and was elected as Council Chair in 1997. In addition to her political activities, Cropp has been involved in the Girl Scouts Council for the Nation's Capital, the NAACP, the United Negro College Fund Advisory Board and the Rock Creek Civic Organization.

On the Issues: Crime: Cropp would like to see more neighborhood deployment of police officers and would like to encourage police officers to live in the neighborhoods they are assigned to protect. She would also expand programs aimed at preventing juvenile delinquency and inmate career training in addition to increasing the effectiveness of the Crime Victims Office. She also supports the creation of the D.C. Crime Lab.

Education: Cropp wants to expand and strengthen a number of programs in District schools, including childcare, recreational programs, school libraries and school technology. She would also restore vocational and alternative education programs and would use incentives to recruit and retain qualified teachers in District schools. She would like the mayor to have the authority to take over any failing District school.

Web site: www.lindacroppformayor.com

Nestor Djonkam Age: 38 Current Occupation: Mechanical Engineer

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Djonkam currently serves as the chair of Cameroonian American Outreach. He has also been heavily involved in the Democratic party, having served as a delegate to the 2000 Democratic National Convention and worked with the Democratic National Committee, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. He has also been involved with Amnesty International.

On the Issues: Crime: Djonkam fully supports the measures enacted following the recent crime emergency and would continue to implement them if elected. In addition, he would address the underlying causes of crime, including homelessness, substance abuse, mental illness and unemployment. He also supports the creation of the D.C. Crime Lab and would increase the effective usage of police resources.

Education: Djonkam would ensure there is better maintenance and security in District schools and would improve programs such as childcare, preschool and educational options for high school students. He also supports using incentives to attract and retain qualified teachers.

Web site: www.nestorformayordc.com

Adrian Fenty Age: 34 Current Occupation: D.C. City Council Member (Ward 4)

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Fenty first became involved in District politics in 1998, when he began serving as commissioner of Advisory Neighborhood Council 4C. He was first elected to the D.C. City Council in 2000. He is a former president of the 16th Street Neighborhood Association and has also been a member of the Lamond-Riggs Recreation Center and the Commission on Black Men and Boys.

On the Issues: Crime: Fenty would encourage greater cooperation between the police and neighborhoods. He would use gang prevention and behavioral and rehabilitation programs to reduce juvenile delinquency. He would also increase both the number of officers on duty and the level of technology available to them.

Education: Fenty would appoint a deputy mayor for education and would make sure that there is universal access to early childhood education programs. He would also ensure that District schools are modernized to "21st century standards" and that District schools are adequately funded. He would implement programs aimed at encouraging adult and family literacy as well as dropout prevention.

Web site: www.fenty06.com

Marie Johns Age: 55 Current Occupation: Retired (former president of Verizon)

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Johns currently serves both as a trustee at Howard University and as chair of Howard University Middle School of Mathematics and Science. She has also served as chair of the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington. She is currently involved on the Board of Stewards for the Metropolitan A.M.E. Church as well as being a member of the D.C. Chamber of Commerce and the National Capital Revitalization Corporation.

On the Issues: Crime: Johns would implement community-oriented policing policies as well as improving the District's 911 system. She would also explore "Design Out Crime" programs and develop alternatives to incarceration for juvenile offenders.

Education: Johns would establish a universally available preschool program for 3- and 4-year-olds. She also wants the D.C. City Council to give the mayor's office control over the finances of D.C. public schools. In addition, she would like to open an Anacostia campus of the University of the District of Columbia and improve technology and job training programs.

Web site: www.johnsformayor.com

Artee Milligan Age: 50 Current Occupation: Executive Director, Metropolitan/Delta Adult Literacy Council Inc.

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Milligan currently serves as chair of Voice of Upper Georgia Avenue and is also a board member of the Metropolitan/Delta Adult Literacy Council Inc. He is also involved with the Great Streets Advisory Board.

On the Issues: Crime: Milligan would reduce the number of petty crimes so District police can focus on reducing the level of more serious criminal activity. He would also increase the number of police officers overall and would restore community policing.

Education: Milligan would ensure that every child knows how to read before leaving first grade. He would also reduce the dropout rate and would encourage employers to give incentives to employees who obtain their GED.

Web site: www.milliganfordcmayor.com

Vincent Orange Age: 49 Current Occupation: D.C. City Council Member (Ward 5), Lawyer, Certified Public Accountant

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Orange was first elected to the D.C. City Council in 1998 and is a former president of the Michigan Park Citizens Association. He is also a member of the Metropolitan A.M.E. Church, the Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants, the National Association of Black Accountants, Leadership Washington and the District of Columbia Bar.

On the Issues: Crime: Orange would hire 800 new District police officers. He would also place cameras in high crime areas and would develop a "state of the art" police headquarters and jail complex. In addition, he would provide job training and placement, housing and assessment to ex-inmates.

Education: Orange would create a universal preschool program for 3- and 4-year-olds as well as open new vocational training schools. He would also establish new reading, writing and math literacy criteria at the third and eighth grade levels.

Web site: www.orangeformayor.com

REPUBLICAN PARTY

David W. Kranich Age: 34 Current Occupation: Real estate agent - Randall Hager Ltd.

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Kranich is involved in the District of Columbia Republican Committee and is a former member of the 1869 Society.

On the Issues: Crime: Kranich would deploy more officers to city streets and would hire a police chief who "is respected by his officers and will execute a plan that utilizes unique approaches to combating crime." He would also reduce crime by improve education.

Education: Kranich would continue to consolidate schools and would continue to renovate schools with money already allotted for projects. He also wants the mayor to have the authority to appoint all members of the D.C. Board of Education.

Website: www.kranichformayor.com

D.C. STATEHOOD GREEN PARTY

Chris Otten Age: 31 Current Occupation: Operations Director, Community Empowerment Operations; Reporter, D.C. Independent Media Center; freelance Web designer

Past Political Experience/Civic Involvement: Otten is the director of the Techno-Activism Project at the Social Action and Leadership School for Activists. He is also involved with the D.C. Statehood Green Party Steering Committee, the D.C. Anti-War Network and the D.C. Community Action Network.

On the Issues: Crime: Otten would remove all city-owned security cameras because he believes cameras have not proven to be a crime deterrent. He would also reduce crime by making improvements in services like the library system, schools, recreation centers and parks, as well as prioritizing working-class issues and training and nourishing young people.

Education: Otten would make all seats on the D.C. Board of Education elected positions. He would also stop the creation of new charter schools and would shift school funding from administration to classroom needs. In addition, he would increase vocational education and improve special education in District schools.

Web site: www.otten06.com