Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Metro calendar

Wednesday, Sept. 27

Yellowcard with Anberlin and My Favorite Highway 7:30 p.m. 9:30 Club, 815 V St. N.W. Metro: U Street/African American Memorial (green line)

Yellowcard, known for their violin-centered emo-rock, will perform live with Anberlin and My Favorite Highway at the 9:30 Club. This Southern California band is centered on the talents of their violinist Sean Mackin as well as lead guitarist and singer Ryan Key. Anberlin, an alternative Christian rock band, and My Favorite Highway, a pop-rock group from Fairfax, Va., will both open for Yellowcard. Tickets are $22.

For more information on purchasing tickets, visit www.930.com or call (703) 218-6500.

Thursday, Sept. 28

The Penn Quarter Freshfarm Market 3-7 p.m. North end of Eighth Street N.W., between D and E streets N.W. Metro: Gallery Place-Chinatown (red, yellow and green lines) or Archives-Navy Memorial (green and yellow lines)

The Freshfarm outdoor market is located in the lively east end neighborhood of downtown D.C. at Penn Quarter. The Freshfarm, also close to National Archives, the Verizon Center and the National Portrait Gallery, consists of 12 to 15 farmers who sell fresh fruits, meats, vegetables, baked goods and cheese as well as handmade soaps, flowers and plants.

Friday, Sept. 29

Dance D.C. Festival 2006 Through Oct. 1

This third annual dance festival is hosted by the D.C. Commission of the Arts and Humanities. The festival will be held at various locations throughout the city featuring a range of dance forms from folk and traditional to flamenco and hand dancing performed by local area dance ensembles. There will also be interactive dance workshops such as bhangra, hip-hop, salsa and more. All of the events are free. For times and locations visit www.dancedcfestival.org/schedule.html.

Saturday, Sept. 30

National Book Festival The National Mall 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Metro: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines)

The National Book Festival, hosted by first lady Laura Bush and sponsored by the Library of Congress, will be on the National Mall, rain or shine. The festival includes books from different genres, such as "Fiction and Fantasy," "Mysteries and Thrillers," "History and Biography," "Children," "Teens and Children," "Poetry" and "Home and Family." More than 70 renowned authors, illustrators and poets will be speaking and signing books at this year's festival, including Khaled Hosseini, author of the bestseller "The Kite Runner." The event is free to the public. For more information, call (888) 714-4696 or visit www.loc.gov/bookfest.

Sunday, Oct. 1

Fourth Annual Foggy Bottom and West End Neighborhood Block Party 1-4 p.m. Eye Street Mall between 23rd and 24th streets N.W. Metro: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines)

Approximately 1,500 people attend this annual free event. This year's block party features booths from local businesses, restaurants, groups and institutions as well as live music and cooking demonstrations. For more information, call (202) 994-9132 or visit http://neighborhood.gwu.edu/discovergw/blockparty.cfm.