Obama delivers speech at Georgetown University

The Bush administration's approach to energy independence damages national security, the U.S. economy and the environment, said Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., at a speech at Georgetown University last Wednesday.

The speech was the second of three events planned by the political organization Move On, whose goal is to motivate voter turnout in November by featuring speakers who will discuss the important issues America is facing, such as energy independence, according to a press release.

After Sept. 11, "Americans were waiting to be called to something bigger than themselves," like former generations of Americans during wartime, Obama said. Energy independence and clean energy is a front on which all Americans can fight, he said.

"For all our economic dominance, for all our military might, the Achilles' heel of the most powerful nation on earth is the oil that we cannot live without," Obama said.

Bush has not revisited his own comments about America's addiction to oil since gas prices started dropping, Obama said.

Bush "seems to be getting far more political mileage out of questioning Democrats' commitment to fighting terror than by forming America's commitment to energy independence," he said.

Terrorists like Osama Bin Laden will target oil supplies in order to bring about economic disaster, Obama said. He also discussed how the waning U.S. auto industry is another sign of economic vulnerability. Since Chinese emissions standards have surpassed U.S. standards, a lagging industry stands to lose "hungry motorists" who want fuel efficiency both here and abroad, he said.

College Republican President John Zevitas said energy efficiency is an issue that transcends party lines.

"Energy independence is not a partisan issue", said John Zevitas, president of the College Republicans at American University. Citing the Bush administration's tax incentives for hybrid and fuel cell technology, Zevitas said "Bush has done a lot in the last few years to focus on energy independence."

Obama's speech came the same month as a new report by the Congressional Budget Office that says emissions taxes for businesses could help the economy. Critics argue that emissions taxes would drive businesses to leave the United States. However, the report states that the technology developed through research could be used worldwide.

Obama said current legislation promoting biodiesel, hybrid cars and increased emission standards would have a better chance of becoming law if Democrats are able to gain seats in Congress in November.

Hundreds of students and community members attended the speech to see the rising Democratic star. Georgetown student representative Jackie Branscomb introduced Obama as "a man who is a true rock star of modern politics."

Move On receives and disseminates much of its information through e-mail, a practice that makes the organization accessible not only to young people, but to anyone who wants to be involved, said Ben Brandzel, advocacy director for the organization.

"Move On exists to help busy people have a voice in Washington," said Eli Pariser, executive director of the organization.