Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024
Alexandra Douglas-Barrera, center, and Mandy Craig, at right with glasses, sit in the recruitment center's lobby to protest "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Students protest military policy toward gays

Two women, including an AU graduate student, led a group of protesters Tuesday to challenge the government's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy at the Armed Forces Recruitment Center and held a sit-in in the center's lobby after discovering it was closed.

Mandy Craig, a second-year graduate student in the School of Public Affairs and University of Maryland sophomore Alexandra Douglas-Barrera led a group of students from D.C. and area colleges, including seven AU students who are members of Queers and Allies, to the Armed Forces Recruitment Center at 14th and L streets with the purpose of peacefully protesting the rejection of two potential lesbian enlistees.

Craig and Douglas-Barrera said they wanted to challenge the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that bans openly gay, lesbian or bisexual people from enlisting or continuing to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.

The attempt to enlist and the ensuing sit-in were intended to raise awareness about this policy, as they expected to be denied, according to Craig.

Craig was inspired to enlist by her partner Chance Thomas, who served in the Navy for five-and-a-half years. Thomas was Sailor of the Year and received a Purple Heart before being discharged. Douglas-Barrera wants to join the Coast Guard and said she believes her sexual orientation should not affect her ability to serve her country.

Craig and Douglas-Barrera decided to enlist through Right To Serve, a nationwide movement where young gay, lesbian or bisexual individuals attempt to enlist in the Armed Forces in order to raise awareness about the government's policy. Right To Serve practices action through non-violent protest. There are 30 cities around the country where similar protests have been planned, and 13 have been carried out to date. Thirty individuals have attempted to enlist, according to Right to Serve's Web site.

A press conference was held outside of the recruitment center before the potential enlistees entered the building. Adam Bink, co-director of the D.C. chapter of Right To Serve, said he questions the legitimacy of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

"Is this policy a good one for our military?" Bink said.

Based on recent low recruitment and lowered standards for enlistees, Right To Serve argues that the need for people to serve is obvious, and potential enlistees who qualify otherwise should not be turned away based on their sexual orientation.

Ward 6 Democratic Council candidate Will Cobb also spoke at the press conference in support of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

"We need everybody we can get," he said. "It is time we break through the barriers of sexual orientation segregation."

After the press conference, the two potential enlistees found the door to the Navy's office locked with the blinds drawn but the lights on inside. The office was not informed by Right To Serve that Craig and Douglas-Barrera were coming. The recruitment center is normally open every day of the year, according to Right to Serve's Web site.

"It's a special holiday, the gays are here!" Bink said. "They've shut the door on two young Americans who want to serve their country."

Craig called the enlistees' rejection symbolic and said she was especially disheartened the recruiters would not even talk to her and Douglas-Barrera.

"It just shows their complete lack of respect," she said.

The pair's supporters started a sit-in in the lobby of the recruitment center and outside on the sidewalk after hearing the office was closed.

"I think ['Don't Ask, Don't Tell' is] ridiculous," said Bridget Krzysztosik, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Kevin Ballie, a freshman in the School of International Service, said he participated in the protest because of an ex-boyfriend who joined the Marines and had to go back into the closet.

"It's totally absurd," he said.