Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Tasty tapas bring spice to District

Meze 2437 18th St. N.W. (202) 797-0017 www.mezedc.com Metro: Woodley Park-Adams Morgan (red line) Price range: $4-$17 per dish

Meze, open for brunch on weekends and dinner every day, is a small, stylish tapas restaurant and lounge with a strong Turkish atmosphere and romantic setting. Think upscale boutique of the restaurant world. Located in Adams Morgan, just a stroll away from the Metro, Meze camouflages itself among the myriad other ethnic eateries on 18th Street. However, it lures prospective diners inside with mood-lighting and spicy scents wafting from within its welcoming doors.

Perhaps the most relieving and convenient aspect of this restaurant is its versatility. It can function for a casual dinner with friends, or it can be dressed up to serve as the destination for an intimate date with a significant other. Cozy booths line one wall and run parallel to a well-stocked bar. Turkish belly dancing and salsa music infuse the background sound to add to the low-key but lively environment. On a clear, starry evening, it is enjoyable to dine outdoors among the lively bustle of the Adams Morgan night scene.

The fare ranges from light to even lighter, but since tapas is meant to be ordered in bulk, one can easily amass an array of dishes and leave feeling more than satisfied. With prices from $4-$17 per item, and with customers ordering anywhere from one to three dishes, this sampler-style dining is certainly affordable for special occasions. Another bonus is the homemade bread, which is included with much of the dinner menu and is replenished throughout the evening by a courteous wait staff.

Starting off with the Cerkez Tavugu would be wise for hungry customers who need something of substance to stick to their ribs and tide them over. This dish is comprised of shredded chicken breast, walnuts, garlic and paprika, and is meant to be eaten as a spread. For those who are a bit less adventuresome and crave food with a familiar name, an alternative is the traditional hummus and pita bread.

The Pastirma Kanepe is an authentic Turkish dish that is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as it should be for something as appetizing and uniquely flavorful as it is. Its description also does not do it justice, as the menu states that it is "traditionally cured Turkish loin of beef thinly sliced and served on bruschetta."

A word to the wise: though the menu describes the dinners in great detail, making them seem like full-fledged entr?es, they are in fact rather tiny, particularly the vegetable-based items, such as the Ezme Salatasi (chopped tomato, onions, and parsley blended with lemon juice). Therefore, it's smart to choose from a variety of categories, including garden (veggies), land (lamb, poultry and beef) and sea (seafood).

Meze is the perfect getaway for a diner seeking refuge from the monotony of American food that seems to plague eateries both on and off campus. Though the bill may add up after three or four different tapas, the price is well worth it to absorb and experience the unique culture of Turkey without ever having to leave D.C.