Friday, Oct. 18, 2024
The Eagles have dropped three of their last four games.

Women's soccer looks to stop slump after loss to GW; record now 4-3-1

After starting the season 4-0, the Lady Eagles soccer team has fallen into a slump. Tuesday afternoon's 2-1 loss at George Washington was the third loss in four matches for the team, whose record has dropped to 4-3-1.

Although the Eagles dominated in possession, corner kicks and shots, a Colonial goal with four minutes to play proved fatal to the struggling team from American.

The match started slowly, with the first score coming in the 35th minute off a header by GW's Kerry Philbin. The contest would remain this way well into the second period, when senior captain Meg Runeari sent a bender into the left side of the goal, tying it at 1-1.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, keeper Alison Doyle couldn't hold onto the game's final score, Meg Pyle's shot from just outside the box. Although the Lady Eagles were able to make it down the field in the last few minutes, they were unable to score.

This latest loss brings into sharp focus the problems with which the team has been struggling. AU hasn't won a game since Sept. 8, when they came out on top over the East Carolina Pirates. Losses to North Carolina State and Georgetown, a scoreless tie with Columbia and this latest defeat are starting to invoke worry in some fans.

However frustrating these last four matches have been, there is hope on the horizon. Friday's match against University of Richmond looks promising, as the Spiders are 0-6-2 this season. Another bright spot comes Sunday, when the Lady Eagles take on Robert Morris University who brings a record of 2-4-0 to the field. Both of these matches will take place at Reeves Field, a big advantage over two teams that are winless on the road.

The real key to victory this weekend is to take advantage of every scoring opportunity. The Lady Eagles have consistently set themselves up to score, but fail to put the ball in the net. If the team is going to get back to their winning ways, they must make the most of every scoring opportunity.

In order to have this much-needed success, the team's strongest players must step up. Senior captains Runeari and Christina Gonzales must anchor the team with their strong, consistent play. If the entire team can rally around the strength of these key players and play with the intensity they showed earlier in the season, the team could get back on the road to success.

Although this has been a brutal dry spell for the Lady Eagles, there is still a strong chance for a turn-around. These upcoming matches are vital for the team, as they could dictate the rest of the season. If American can come out of this weekend victorious, the momentum could carry over into next week when they begin league play.